Author Topic: Wiring Harness Question  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Keith61

• View Profile
Wiring Harness Question
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
Evening All

Was thinking of replacing the wiring harness on my CB 550 , but after looking at it today and deciding it is actually in not a too bad condition I have decided to try and reuse it ( after testing it of course ) . My main concern is the state of the connectors. Most are heavily corroded . So, my question is , does anyone have handy tips for cleaning them up to a serviceable state , or , if they need replacing , the best way to prepare the wire ?

Thanks ......Keith

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring Harness Question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:12:33 PM »
hi Kieth,welcome to the sohc forum,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:09:52 AM »
Wd40 and a toothbrush / toothbrush sized wire brush? And a mini drill with brush attatchments for stubborn bits if really commited to cleaning. Vehicle wiring products do some decent connectors that are compatible, including the inserts for the block connectors - re use the housinga as they are not so easy to source with the right shape. The old connectors can be poped out of the plastic block with a small screwdriver for cleaning or replacement. Lightly bending connectors to tighten connections can work wonders. If replacing a connector just strip the wire back and crimp on new - oppinion is devided on soldering too, but I prefer to solder. If the copper inner has gone black its very hard to get solder to take and probably indicates a problem. Just as well to replace that particular wire run in the loom, either just zip tie a new wire onto the outside, works just fine but not pretty if fussy. Or strip back the whole loom and install new wire plus re wrap. A lot of work. The original looms are great quality. Well worth taking time to save them. I did re wire one of my bikes using 'high preformance' wire from vwp, I kind of regret it, the old style wire is better in my books and seems to retain the crimped connectors better and flex better.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:07:49 AM »
These are brilliant, but expensive.
http://www.ipatools.com/products/index.php/diamond-tip-electrical-terminal-cleaners.html

Using an abrasive removes the plating, but if they're already corroded it's gone anyway, pack with dialectic grease after cleaning to prevent the fresh metal from corroding rapidly.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
The connectors are still available, it's a case of shopping around to find them.
Old wiring harness refurbishment tip - once you have removed the old insulation tape, you may find that the bunched cables are very 'sticky'. The original design issue with 1960' early 80' pvc insulated cables is that the insulation degrades due to a chemical reaction between the copper conductor and the plasticiser within the insulation. This is normally compounded by heat/bunched cables.
The problem is not as obvious as the attached image. Some insulated cables looks OK, but have degraded (become too soft) for prolonged service
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Keith61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses. will strip the harness back next week and get to work on it.
Will let you know how it goes..

Thanks .....Keith

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
Lots of patience, WD40, wood stirrers, cotton buds, mini files, wet and dry, cleaning cloths, an empty bench and dielectric grease.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Keith61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:59 PM »
Well that was fun ! All done now , only two faulty connectors ( now replaced ) . Just going to re wrap the harness , then should be good to go.
Carburettors next. Expect more questions !!!!

Offline martin_uk

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »
1977 CB750F1
1977 CB750f1 836
1978 CB750F1
1975 CB500K1

Triumph Street Triple 675R
Ducati 800 Icon Scrambler
Triumph 3TA