Author Topic: Vin number on hpi check  (Read 709 times)

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Vin number on hpi check
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
Just putting this out there and some of you may well allready know this...
To cut a very long story short..
I was bidding on a barn find with no paper work and the add got pulled
I contacted the seller to see why...and another punter had done a hpi check on the bike ...I think he may well have been looking to export it...so,was covering all bases and I suppose checking of it was not stolen...
It came back with 2 hpi loans against the vin...the seller panicked and we came to a very favourable deal....I was in the mind set that nothing cannot be sorted and how the hell do you get 2 loans on one vehicle consecutively only 2 months apart...
I ran my own check and yes there were indeed 2 loans raised against it...
And also it stated first manufactured 74 and first registered in uk 70....go figure???
I contacted the hpi company and they informed me....here goes
Because it's an earlier bike with shorter vin code....any vehicle with that number anywhere in the vin will pop up in the search....so yes there are 2 other vehicles out there (it turns out plant machinery )with my short vin in there longer vin ....
And until the loans on them are paid off satisfactorily they will always show....
Luckily the guy from the hpi company has sent me a nice cover note stating my new old bike is clear....
Happy days..
So I guess if I check my fantic that only has 4 numbers in the vin code statistically I will get more hpi loans against it..
Somthing to think about if you are selling or buying an older vehicle and good to know so no panic sets in...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:58:43 PM by Woodside »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Vin number on hpi check
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
Not all paper work is as it seems. I have a 1973 bike that shows on the DVLA system as registered in 1973 but, on the DVSA, as first registered in 1970.
HPI checking is just well out of touch with reality, as the data base can not keep up with most vehicles before 1990 or anything that has been imported.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal