Author Topic: Loctite nutlock problem  (Read 747 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Loctite nutlock problem
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »
Hi folks,
Just wanted to share some info in case anyone was ever thinking of making the same mistake as me - doh!
Recently bought a very low mileage Honda CBF600SA - great bike but has a totally useless front mudguard.  Decided to fit a fender extender as I have done on other bikes in an effort to keep some of the crud off the pipes and cases. The tiny screws supplied were poorly plated self tappers so I fitted some nice 4mm stainless screws and nuts.  I gently nipped them up after applying a dab of Loctite Nutlock as I have done on many occasions.  All well for a few days then disaster struck when I entered the garage to find bits of mudguard on the floor behind the front wheel.  Looks like the Loctite has crept under the nut and 'exploded' bits of the ABS mudguard with some kind of chemical reaction.  The cracks radiating from some of the screws extend 4 inches up the guard.
Over £100 later (lighter?), I have fitted a new guard and the fender extender but this time with Nyloc nuts.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Loctite nutlock problem
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »
That's a new one on me, thanks foe sharing.   +1 on the stainless nylocs.  Don't forget the penny washers to spread the load.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
Hi,
    The powers that were years ago used to issue "dire" warnings about using paint/stickers on ABS helmets, causing brittleness and or softening
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 10:41:23 AM »
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware that they had made ABS helmets, I remember the warnings about Polycarbonate but I have always used Glassfibre ones.  The thing that amazed me was that the screws were fitted from the outside, then the fender extender on the inside and then the merest dab of nut lock,c then the nut - I didn't flood the area with the stuff as I'm from Yorkshire tha knows!
Strangely enough I have an extender on the GoldWing (ABS front guard) fitted the same way that's been on for 15 years.
Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal