Author Topic: Carbs wet plugs on startup  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Carbs wet plugs on startup
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »
Hello, me again got the 550 running but one problem on startup with chock plugs 1&2 get wet change them out and bike then runs fine. I have cleaned carbs and replaced all rubbers with vitriol ones bench set slides and turned mix out from stop 1 full turn. There is no over flow so I'm assuming the flots are set ok! Thanks for any suggestions that could help. Clive

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs wet plugs on startup
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
Are overflow tubes free? Are the little O-rings around the mainjets OK and do they seal well?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
are 1 & 2 on the left?

is the bike left on the side stand ?

maybe the needle valves are leaking a little,with the fueltap ?

1 & 2 use seperate ignition systems,but check plug gaps etc
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »
Deltarider over flow clean and all carbs striped and cleaned.
Johnwelby new seals in fuel tap bike starts but only runs on 2 change plugs and it's fine?

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
I had just sent off my carbs to gerber who has been mentioned on here for good refurbish when blow me down I read an article about ohm resistance and plug spark, well I went too the garage and not only do I have resister plug caps but also resistor sparke plugs, this apparently gives around 10,000 ohms of resistance which results in weak spark! So maybe a combination of carbs and plugs or it could of been just the plugs I will never know  As I'm sorting both!

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
I had just sent off my carbs to gerber who has been mentioned on here for good refurbish when blow me down I read an article about ohm resistance and plug spark, well I went too the garage and not only do I have resister plug caps but also resistor sparke plugs, this apparently gives around 10,000 ohms of resistance which results in weak spark! So maybe a combination of carbs and plugs or it could of been just the plugs I will never know  As I'm sorting both!
Clive. That was me, I had the exact same problem. I have now taken out the resister plugs and fitted NGK D8EA. And the problem so far has gone, the bike also runs and idles way better. That said I have a Boyer ignition setup, and Boyer themselves advised me to change the plugs. I have resister plugs and caps in the 750 and that runs great, but it is on standard coils and points. So my fix may not be your problem but it wont cost much to change the plugs and see.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
Royhall I have put vf 750 coils on mine but I will see what happens when the carbs are back from refurbish by Gerben

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal