Author Topic: Charging problem, F2  (Read 1013 times)

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
Charging problem, F2
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »
Hi All,
My F2 wasn't charging properly so maybe a bit hastily I bought a new solid state reg/rec unit for it and while I was wiring it all up again I decided to do a proper job and test the continuity on the new spade connections that I had made [ some of the old wiring had tiny cuts and splits in it so I cut them out and bought a new 6way plug to fit to the new reg rec plug] . I've taken the alternator cover off and tested the three yellow wires from the stator for continuity, all good but I cant get a bleep between the green & red wires from the field coil suggesting that there's a loose connection or the windings are shot. The field coil looks pretty good so I suspect that there's a connection in the crankcase/ drive cover that I cant see between the alt housing and where the cable emerges at the back of the crankcase prior to the 6 pin plug which goes onto the new reg/rec.
My question, does this connection exist apart from in my imagination that is and how do I get to it ? do I have to drain the engine oil to get to the thing?  I did loosen the drive cover screws and it started to drip which didn't make any sense to me.
any help gratefully received.

I've tried to show the test that I was copying off youtube but I don't think that it'll post as a hyperlink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4q7sV0LpLs

PS; Am a bit loathe to drain the sump as the bike is presently adorning my dining room,,,,and yes, you're quite right, I am in fact single.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Charging problem, F2
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:00:57 PM »
I may be speaking out of turn here, being a 400four owner but why drain the oil?  Surely the alternator unbolts from the engine and tested on the bench.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
There is a workshop manual (titled CB750 K0-.K8, F SHOP MANUAL) in Ashimoto's Dropbox, to be found here if you haven't already found it: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html.
There ought to be something in there to help you with both the oil question and the wiring query.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
Most of the oil should be in the tank as it's a dry sump. You'll get a small amount left in the sump but shouldn't run out of there.

You do get a few dribbles if you take the alternator cover off but it should be just that and no real quantity.
As you've got it in the house you could always use an oven tray to catch anything that comes out, ;) may make the roast spuds taste a bit funny though.

There should be no real run back through the oil pump when it's not running so the sump shouldn't contain much and this is usually below the level of the alternator.

Might be worth tipping it over to its right hand side prior to removing the case to encourage any oil in the alt to run into the sump.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »
Thanks guys, Ive got the alternator cover off already, not a lot in there at all which is probably how it should be, its the cover to the right of it ie, towards the back wheel,that I'm thinking the cables run through but point taken about the dry sump and the roasting tin . The cables run out of the alt cover then disappear back and inboard to reappear near the under the oil tank area. Point taken also about the workshop manual Chris, my Haynes is pretty poor, thanks. Your advice much appreciated all round especially since I only posted it a couple of hours ago, so thanks all.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
Presume you've got the sprocket cover off? As that holds the wires from alt out of the way when installed.

The other cover, between sprocket and alternator, is the same deal as the alt cover really. It'll dribble a bit with residual oil in there but nothing significant.

The alt wires in effect go round behind this cover as the top left of it is in effect a cosmetic part to tidy the appearance and to cover those wires, but you've got to remove it from memory to get the wires out and free to completely remove the alternator assembly.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
Brilliant, thanks K2-K6, that's the information that I was trying to get to but I don't think that I articulated my question very well.
I'm hoping theres a duff connection or a broken wire as the field coils are 320 euros on CMSL.

Offline born to be mild

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:27:16 PM »
Update, taking the cover off that the gear lever shaft runs through and then the sprocket cover let me get to the connectors for the field coil, thankfully there was no problem there, I got good continuity between the two leads, not sure why I wasn't getting that before at the plug where these and the stator leads join the wiring harness because the plug terminals read ok too although, maybe I was doing something wrong. While I was in there I spotted a bare section on the oil pressure switch wire which I've now insulated with heat shrink, so that's pretty much all the charging electrics checked with good earths at all green wires.
 I've made a couple of paper gaskets for the covers and so now its a matter of slapping it all back together again and topping the oil up, [ about half a pint came out when I took the gearbox cover off ] re-routing the various bits of the harness to make it look tidier under the sidepanel and see if I've now got a charging battery.
Thanks very much to all who helped out with advice which was very much appreciated, I was thinking of selling the Honda this year once I had fettled the charging but I'm having second thoughts now and might sell the Triumph instead.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal