Author Topic: Battery - where to buy?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Battery - where to buy?
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
Hi

The battery on my 500 hasn't lasted well this time and the previous one from the same shop was faulty and so, consequently, I'm thinking of changing supplier.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Battery - where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
pay a bit more and go for a motobat, cheaper ones often fail within a few months.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:49:46 AM »
I put a Motobatt on my CB 750 some 18 months ago, bought online from a company in Essex. Delivered the day after ordering and seems to work really well.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
https://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX14-BS-Varta-Powersports-AGM-Motorcycle-Battery-512-014-010-P186.html

I've bought from this supplier with very good service so far,  same battery also from Amazon maybe better delivery cost depending on any concessions you get.

I'll not argue with the other options offerered above as I've not tried them, but I'm very impressed with these AGM Varta batteries both on cars and bikes. Any examples I've used or recommended to others show a remarkable ability to maintain voltage with no use and always start the engine when asked.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »
https://www.tayna.co.uk/YTX14-BS-Varta-Powersports-AGM-Motorcycle-Battery-512-014-010-P186.html

I've bought from this supplier with very good service so far,  same battery also from Amazon maybe better delivery cost depending on any concessions you get.

I'll not argue with the other options offerered above as I've not tried them, but I'm very impressed with these AGM Varta batteries both on cars and bikes. Any examples I've used or recommended to others show a remarkable ability to maintain voltage with no use and always start the engine when asked.
I bought a Motobatt from Wemoto.good service

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
I have always used rob hunter lead acid batteries, never had any problems, I use an Optimate when laid up and check the charging system every few months, I usually get around 4 years out of them.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »
I have always used rob hunter lead acid batteries, never had any problems, I use an Optimate when laid up and check the charging system every few months, I usually get around 4 years out of them.
My Yuasa acid lead batteries were aways good for 6-7 years, be it that the last year it was sometimes kickstart only. I use a sophisticated multiphase charger but... only when needed. So I don't leave it connected all winter, but do a freshup charge say every 6 weeks. The advantage of AGM is maintenance free, the minus is you never know how old that battery is when you buy it and for what period of time it is already on way to it ends. The 'countdown' for a conventional lead acid battery does not begin before you actually have put in the acid. Personally I find AGM batteries overpriced, conventional batteries nowadays are competively priced.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:11:00 PM by deltarider »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
Some of the agm batteries come with an acid pack so you start the lifespan when they arrive. I've had a lot of lead acid batteries from the local bike shop fail early, got a bit longer out of Yuasa and Varta, longer enough to justify the cost I would say. The odd thing is on my wifes cb250 the standard agm / mf battery only ever lasts a year, reagardless of use of the bike, using an optimate if not in use etc. My cb500 has made do with a car battery in the sidecar when it was last used, cheaper and longer lasting. The best battery I've encountered was a Numax gel battery from their industrial range. Arrived so flat that the terminals being shorted out on the frame of the machine wasnt causing sparks. It was quite old looking and second hand then, and has been in my ownership for 4 or 5 years now and still going strong starting a small diesel engine, or running a 12v winch. If Numax do a gold seal industrial one that will fit the cb500 I would really highly reccomend it. I'm lucky enough to be able to use bigger batteries on my 500/4.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 08:20:35 PM »
Motobatt all the way.
If I could get one for my truck I would
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 08:41:35 PM »
As to where to buy from - these days they are readily posted and ebay or amazon are fine. I always check they send it pre filled or with an acid pack. All my batteries come off ebay - various sellers just check feedback a garuntee off an established seller is nice though I have yet to need to claim one.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
thanks for all the replies, never heard of AGM batteries before, developed for stop/start cars it seems.

I suspect the agricultural supplier where I get my batteries has them on the shelf for too long.  I might try Amazon or something.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
AGM is not a brand. It means absorbent glass mat.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
My Optimate dried out my last lead acid battery completely. Have replaced all my batteries now with Motobatt AGM and thrown the Optimate in the bin. I replaced that with a Noco Genius that I only use once a month as the AGM's never appear to need topping up. The Noco is only on them for about 3 minutes. Top batteries. Also a great benefit in not having acid to leak on your frame and exhaust as the AGM's are sealed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:14:38 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal