Author Topic: Dismantling carburettors - or not.  (Read 847 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Dismantling carburettors - or not.
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:22:25 AM »
Can someone write the missing page that the Haynes manual couldn't be bothered to include please? I'm dismantling the carbs for blasting. Despite the odd spots of corrosion I (and Andy the Motorcycle Doctor in Ashurst Wood East Grinstead who deserves every plug he can get) have managed to get everything off the throttle except the No. 1 carb slide arm. Firstly, having removed it's locking screw and despite copious amounts of WD40 it's stuck fast. When (if) I do manage to free it, does the shaft just slide out of the carb body towards the other carbs?. I ask because on it's end it has a brass washer which looks as though it wouldn't just pull out of the carb body UNLESS you have to remove the metal plug in the carb body on the other side and take it out that way. .
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dismantling carburettors - or not.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »
Have you tried looking in the Honda Shop Manual (in Ashimoto's Dropbox)?
I don't know how it compares to the Haynes version, may be worth a look.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »
Thats the 'orrible K3 carbs-----never got that far always bined them

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:55:04 PM »
Yes Bryan they are indeed the said horrible carbs, but at the mo they are all I have. What did you put on instead?
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
Just cleaned the insides till it ran and sold it quick!!!! I think I have some spare bodies with assorted parts if you want to pay carriage. At least one float and pin missing along with the 'orrible press in pilots

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »
Having k3 carbs aint all bad news, if you can get em running right, the mpg is very nice to live with - I did Fort William accross the A9? I think it was, so west to east coast and down past Glasgow on a tankfull, my mates superdream had drank its reserve dry and was well into my jerry can before we found a petrol station. My cb500 would have been needing a push by then.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »
Ashdowner, Had mine apart a few months ago. As far as I remember once the screw is removed it should slide right off. Presume you have removed the choke butterfly (screws on mine were very tight, best tool was original Honda bit with T bar) and other bits joining the carbs.
Choke spring arrangement between 2/3 is a real nightmare. (1978)
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
Final comment is that I got Carb No. 1 off the throttle shaft with the help of a blowtorch. The shaft is a bit corroded in places but I'll live with it. Carbs/bits all gone for blasting/plating. Took copious photos of the dismantling so hoping I can get it all back together again including the nightmare choke assembly. Watch this space.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal