SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

CB550 coils

<< < (2/4) > >>

Green1:
Don't panic James I'm not blaming you but the bits and bobs you owe me would be nice  ;)

Yes it does have the boyer ignition

deltarider:
Many start by suspecting the coils and although they can fail, this is seldom the case. Both CB500 and CB550 are vulnerable in wet conditions. Carefully inspect and clean the HTleads and check for possible arcing between the HTleads/plugcaps and the head. Best seen in the dark. Some spray a mist of water to detect it. By listening closeby you may hear the cracks. How old are the plugcaps? What do they measure? Are sparkplugs gapped correctly and not too wide? Did water(mist) get behind the ignition cover?

mike the bike:
On mine the rain was getting in between the HT leads and the coil.  Tried sealing them but it didn't last

Johnwebley:

--- Quote from: mike the bike on March 04, 2017, 03:29:50 PM ---On mine the rain was getting in between the HT leads and the coil.  Tried sealing them but it didn't last

--- End quote ---

on mine the HT outer fractured completly next to the coils,

I was to lazy to try the repair,so bought a couple of Dss finest !!!!
with Boyer ignition they give a massive spark

Green1:
I don't actually suspect the coils most likely the HT leads as they are pulled very tight on the caps.
I did manage to get a look at it today and there was a little moisture behind the point cover so if I'm lucky it might just be that.
I looked into why the throttle is heavy as well and one of the cables has a twist in it and the other is as stiff as hell so that should be an easy fix with a couple of new cables.

Are the cable supposed to be tied to the frame above or below the coils? Mine are just floating around at the moment

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version