Author Topic: Carbs jet size?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Carbs jet size?
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
Hello all!

Still trying to get my 500 running properly...

After rebuilding the top end this winter I was pretty excited to go out for a ride as last summer was quite disappointing after having all sort out of problems with my engine... so this winter proceeded to fix it. After fitting everything back to normal and having my first ride again... second disappointment bike sounded fantastic but had to play up with the choke while driving to get some acceleration power... when I rebuilt the carbs I did it as per manual with the stock configuration but of course the bike is running pod filters and drag pipes completely unrestricted!!

What size jets should I put on? Any other ideas?

Also my gears keep slipping I did put EBC clutch springs..

Thanks in advance! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs jet size?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »

That's me before the disappointment!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »
You need to sort the clutch BEFORE attempting jetting changes, as you can spend many hours getting thwe jetting to seem perfect, and as soon as the clutch slip is sorted you could end up with a big flat spot. Did you fit new clutch plates? If not, that would be a wise thing to do, but before that, check the clutch pushrod is not bent or broken, either of those can give rise to random clutch slip.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Noelia

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »
You need to sort the clutch BEFORE attempting jetting changes, as you can spend many hours getting thwe jetting to seem perfect, and as soon as the clutch slip is sorted you could end up with a big flat spot. Did you fit new clutch plates? If not, that would be a wise thing to do, but before that, check the clutch pushrod is not bent or broken, either of those can give rise to random clutch slip.

Hello! I have almost changed everything in the clutch already but the discs, they look perfect to me... what else could be causing the gears to slip? Push rod is in perfect condition, changed the clutch mechanism, and springs...

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
If the plates have not glazed it is either incorrect assembly of the plates ( just because you put it back exactly as you found it does not mean it's right, the last person in there may have got it wrong!) or over tight adjustment of the release linkage, the free play at the end of the handlebar lever, all can cause these symptoms.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 07:48:37 AM »
Lets get the terminology correct, gears do not slip they either engage or they don/t---if  a gear is jumping out it is a dog or selector problem not a clutch problem

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:54:02 AM »
With pods and drags I would be using 110-115 jets

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal