Author Topic: Ignition switch issues  (Read 764 times)

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
Ignition switch issues
« on: March 13, 2017, 11:48:34 PM »
Can someone please help...

I have changed the stock 5 pin ignition switch for an aftermarket 4 pin switch. I was told to combine the two brown wires on the stock harness to give me four wires to connect to the four wire new switch.
 This switch has two key stages, first is a dot and second reads ignition.
When the key is in the first dot stage I get all lights and speedo lights up with built in idiot lights. When turned to ignition I lose the back light on the speedo (aftermarket speedo with built in idiot lights)?
Also when in ignition stage I get nothing on the start button however when turned back to stage one the start button works??

I'm confused😩
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition switch issues
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:55:24 AM »
You need to establish what connects to what on  the switch positions.  Ideally a multimeter will help but a simple battery and bulb circuit will do if you havent got one.   Draw a diagram on paper of the connections and it should make more sense.

What bike is it for?
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Chris400F

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
Looking at a couple of wiring diagrams the two brown wires seem to be joined within the connector anyway, so that sounds correct.
How did you decide which wire to connect to which with your new switch? Colour coding wouldn't necessarily make sense with an aftermarket switch.
If you look at a wiring diagram in a Shop Manual there will be a diagram showing the internal connections made in the various switch positions.
If you don't have a Shop Manual you should find one here: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html.
You need to find out the equivalent for your switch - I would have expected to get this information with the switch - and connect your wires accordingly.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:27:44 AM »
Think maybe you are misreading the switch. Mine is a standard one still I think. Ignition is written along the top (when mounted) but does not really refer to the second dot. (just that this is the ignition switch, surprise, surprise)
Position one is "OFF" : First click clockwise is "ignition" (and everything else) ON : second click is "parking lights" (just front pilot and rear, I think) (not got a working bike today).
The key is removable at the second click and only captive in the central position.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses!
The switch is the one in the pic! I cannot recall how I connected it but as the wires matched the ones on the bike I prob connected them straight up. I'll have a look tonight!
The key will not remove when in second posistion either so do not believe that to be park mode!

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:17:36 PM »
Thanks for your replies.. turns out I've been a dumbass and it is off/ignition/park as the key does in fact come out on the last turn!! On the other hand it means I've wired it up right! Lol

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
Glad you've sussed it out.  Older and wiser now.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal