Author Topic: Help Combined reg/rec  (Read 948 times)

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
Help Combined reg/rec
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:59:29 PM »
I have a cb550f supersport and am nearing the end of my build. I have just ordered an antigravity 8cell battery and it recommends you replace the rectifier with a modern one. I have purchased a combined one from David silver spares which means I can also lose the bulky stock reg too which will help no end with the available space in my electrics tray I have fabbed up.
So my question is the new reg/rec will plug straight into the connector for the stock reg 3xyellow wires 1x green and 1x red. However I have a white, green and black off the old reg and only the double ended spade wire left on the new reg(see pic).
Can someone tell me in laymans terms how to finish this up and what goes where exactly?
Thanks in advance!
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Help Combined reg/rec
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:50:26 AM »
Ask DS for a wiring diagram for the unit

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:35:40 AM »
I have the same unit I think (Century Ignition Parts, from DS) and the instructions for mine say that you need to plug the block connector in and then "Remove either of white and black wires of original regulator. Wrap the removed terminal with insulating tape and do the same with the other wire (black or white). Put one terminal of new ic rec/regulator to white or black wire which are removed from original regulator and put the other terminal to the other wire. Don't remove the green wire of the original regulator, keep it installed. Green one is earth wire".

The associated drawing shows the double - ended spade wire and says "connect to white wire and black wire which are removed from the original regulator".

Mine works fine when connected in this way, however I am no electrician so any more technical questions than those that I can copy from the instructions for you would probably be beyond me!

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:31:40 AM »
Too late now I know but the Electrex World unit comes with all the correct connectors fitted and plugs straight into the OEM harness.

Here's the wiring diagram for that unit. It may help.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
and it recommends you replace the rectifier with a modern one.
Why is that?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »
Because the original reg is very crude giving full charge, half charge or no charge and those batteries need a smoother charging curve

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:04:10 AM »
Thanks flat four! I'm confused as it implies leaving the green from old reg connected as it is earth! Does that mean leave connected to old reg? Only I thought this new unit enabled me to remove old reg or does it mean leave it hanging not connected and remove old reg?
Appreciate the help!

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »
Wenman, according to the instructions supplied with my unit the old regulator should be left fitted and undisturbed, although no doubt someone with more knowledge than I have could advise you on how to achieve the same result in another way if you want to remove it.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
You don't need the old regulator as the new unit supercedes it.  Cable-tie the spare green tidily to the loom as it's not required.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »
Awesome thanks Mike!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal