Author Topic: PD46 carb connecting fuel pipe o rings - THE answer  (Read 631 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
PD46 carb connecting fuel pipe o rings - THE answer
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
With thanks to Gerben in Holland, I just want to share that Viton rings with an outside diameter of 9mm and an inside diameter of 5mm absolutely fit the bill. They're a smaller id than the originals but a bigger cross-section at 2mm, but they feel like they've really seated solidly when you put the tubes into the carbs and I've leak tested them today with 100% success. They're available from the major stockists.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:00:05 PM by Ashdowner »
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: PD46 carb connecting fuel pipe o rings - THE answer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
That is, if they need replacement. Mine have been in there for over 40 years and still don't leak. And I mistreated them every time in the struggle to get new fuellines over the nipples of the T-joints and had the carbs move vehemently. Can't thank Honda enough to fit two O-rings on either side.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »
Delta, On my Pd46 (78)carbs there is a single fuel feed to carb 2 and then the three jointing pieces but with only one O ring each end (six in total). (There is a ridiculously priced kit of tubes and O rings available) Perhaps it was to save pennies or perhaps as the are not a fuel inlet and cannot rotate once in place it was considered adequate. Certainly a whole bunch of O rings are available on ebay and often next day dely (sealforce)and much cheaper than through other channels.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
Oops, I didn't notice it was about PD carbs. Sorry for that. Anyway, on the old style carbs with two T-joints there are two on either side, so 4 per T-joint and 8 in total. I always advocate NOT to separate the carbs from the rack unless it is ab-so-lu-te-ly necessary. When they leak, the O-rings need to be replaced ofcourse, but if not, leave them, as they can go a looong way. Mine are 40+, have been mistreated and nevertheless seal well. Maybe the reason that they live so long, is that I always keep my carbs (and the fuellines above them) "wet" during hibernation, be it that I drain the floatchambers every two months (the collected fuel goes back in the tank). Before I open the petcock to let them fill again, so with the chambers stiil empty, I turn the idle adjust screw so far loose that the carb slides are all the way down. I then kick the kickstarter a few times and hope all jets (and the pilot jets in particular) are blown (or should I say sucked) clear. Always worked for me. The only time I had the bike hibernate with the carbs "dry", I was shocked the next spring how much the floatbowl gaskets had shrunk and I then concluded that if the same had happened to the 8 O-rings at the T-joints, that shrinking could not be good for them. Hence my practice. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:15:38 PM by deltarider »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal