Author Topic: Push and pull throttle cables  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Niko

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Push and pull throttle cables
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:09:49 PM »
Hi...can anyone tell me the difference please.
I have fitted the only one that came with the bike ....not sure which other one I need.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Push and pull throttle cables
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
That looks like the push cable, where the locknut goes the other side of the bracket to keep it in place.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:55 PM »
you have fitted the the pull cable,

also you havn,t quite got the 2 nuts fitted correctly,the nut are supposed to clamp onto the mounting bracket,to prevent any chance
of the cable falling away,

I think the bottom "push" cable has a half round mounting to locate it as well as the 2 nuts as well,

I am sure others will be able to advise you better than I

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Niko

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 07:24:51 PM »
you have fitted the the pull cable,

also you havn,t quite got the 2 nuts fitted correctly,the nut are supposed to clamp onto the mounting bracket,to prevent any chance
of the cable falling away,

I think the bottom "push" cable has a half round mounting to locate it as well as the 2 nuts as well,

I am sure others will be able to advise you better than I

Cheers..

I've since repositioned the securing nut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »
Johns spot on I'm currently sitting in front of a box of cables separating them ready for posting.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:31:50 AM »
what is the function of the push cable?  The spring is so strong, when I release the throttle it whizzes back all by itself.  My bikes never had the push cable.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:39:09 AM »
It's there to cover the remote possibility of the throttles jamming open, such as seized or poorly maintained linkage or frayed and sticky cable. The second cable forces the throttles shut as the twistgrip is closed. Honda put it there for safety, and insurance companies have used the lack of one being fitted as an excuse to avoid paying out. You have been warned!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
The stop switch is much more effective in that situation.  I've told the insurance company it's modified with higher bars, perhaps I will be more specific.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
It wouldn't be the first time I've worked on somebody's bike and found the kill switch bypassed as a cheap fix for a dodgy switch. Insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid paying out these days, and even if the accident isn't your fault, the other party's insurer will look for any excuse. Also, most policies these days state in the small print that the vehicle must be kept in a well maintained roadworthy condition, and not fitting or removing "safety" items fitted as stock can invalidate your policy, so always tell them everything!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Niko

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
Thanks gents...
Push  cable to be ordered then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
how annoying.  I think I will get the garage to make up a set of cables when I go for the MOT at the end of the month.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »
Insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid paying out these days, and even if the accident isn't your fault, the other party's insurer will look for any excuse. Also, most policies these days state in the small print that the vehicle must be kept in a well maintained roadworthy condition, and not fitting or removing "safety" items fitted as stock can invalidate your policy, so always tell them everything!
So far I've not heard of one example of that practice. And I've never heard of one example where a rider in a fall was so conscious that he switched off the run switch and praised it afterwards. Although a kill switch can be usefull, my push cable is still new in its plastic bag (really don't know why I bought it). Maybe somenone has a suggestion I could use it as a pull cable. The push cable is probably an American hobby like texts in rear view mirrors warning that objects could be nearer and texts on microwaves not to dry pets in it.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
I used the kill switch on a Kawasaki 550 once.  It wouldn't start after I had been working on it and I flattened the battery trying to turn it over.  I decided to give it a go bumping it down a hill.  To my great surpise it burst into life and took off at full throttle.  Fortunately I was able to use the kill switch.  When I took the petrol tank off I realised I had trapped the throttle cable with the tank and consequently the throttles were in the fully open position, which explained why it didn't want to start.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 09:49:02 AM »
Nice bikes, them Kawa's 550. Have a spirit of their own, haven't they? ;)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
Now I agree theses are different carbs to my PD46's but assuming the same basic principles apply doesn't the photo show the pull cable wrongly fitted to the push bracket with the nipple inserted into the push locator on the wheel? The pull cable goes under the wheel and the push goes on top.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal