Author Topic: Is this price a bit too high?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Is this price a bit too high?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »
That is probably about average these days, but I agree, way too much for what it is. Cost 3 times that to get anywhere near stock again!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »
There are a lot of so called classic bike importers of classic bikes. Often selling bikes that are beyond the normal state of repair, or needing complete rebuilds and lots of new parts. I always fancied either a 500 or 550, but prices are out of my budget for resto and parts, and in the end is it really worth it or the money spent on it🤔, in most cases yes as we are reliving our youth or want a reliable classic or most important fun bike we can tinker with. What gets me when these so called companies sells these bikes is that a lot have no info of the bike, just squart some starter fluid down its neck and says it's a runner, then says won't need a lot of effort to get going, that's bullshit. Anyway ramble over. Don't get me wrong you do come across decent companies and bikes but, if they are on eBay chances are nuggets with dreams will spend ££££ for it without thinking about the rest needed.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »
That needs a lot of difficult to find and expensive parts to restore but given the cost of parts you would make a small profit on breaking it

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
Well I'm actually looking for a barn to buy,  i can then put any old Sh*t in it, pull it out and sell to some poor unsuspecting sap for a small fortune. ;D

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »
Well it's got one of them rare rhs disc conversions usually found on the 350f

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
they actually have some nice bikes there on own page of ebay, but mostly imports which is no bad thing as cheaper than most uk reg bikes. but need to watch if specific to us market and parts also as may hard to get hold of original parts. that bike thro is only been put together from other parts lying around to make up a near complete bike, but lots smaller parts missing from brakes etc which as all have said lots of money to replace.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
Good start for a cafe or rat bike, but yeah, bit steep considering how much original kit it awol or chopped about. I'd reacon that it could be ridden after not a lot of expenditure, however for that money I would think a bit of finesse to the looks might be expected, and on that example there is some effort also required. It would not restore to stock that easily I think - unless you have a decent parts supply to hand.....
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 06:37:31 AM »
I paid 1600 for mine from DK as us import (badly seized engine ) but all original and good chrome/seat etc .

Ended up spending about 1700 on restoration but that did include a full set of CMS pipes so yes I think that's a lot of money for a bike that would need much more than that to restore

Attached pic was from original DK ad before I got to work so you can see what 1600 can get you
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
well exactly, for 1600 that is a very good starting point, its all there and very shiny.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »
Paul, Presume that was 18 months ish ago. Price of imports have gone up a lot ATM (usually get cheaper in the summer?) presumably because of demand. DK often puts on a reserve now as well and many other importers are take it or leave it fixed price.
When you look at the US site they often pick up a bike for very little money (especially with no title). But notice that some there can spend, spend, spend when it comes to their cafe replicas.
Phil
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
Something to bear in mind with these bikes is not just the restoration, but whatever problem that led it to being put to one side in the first place still needs finding and fixing.

Sometimes it may just be a case of too many bikes or projects, the owner got ill or passed away, but it could be that it started to make an expensive noise suddenly.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
Something to bear in mind with these bikes is not just the restoration, but whatever problem that led it to being put to one side in the first place still needs finding and fixing.

Sometimes it may just be a case of too many bikes or projects, the owner got ill or passed away, but it could be that it started to make an expensive noise suddenly.

Fully agree - in my case I knew i was in for a full engine rebuild anyway but considered that engine bits are generally easy to source and shiny bits and replacing other non-original parts can rack up the credit card rapidly.

Tuned out it was a good decision but of course not all are willing/prepared to do a full engine rebuild as simply bolting on new external bits may be less daunting.

Each to his own at the end of the day but I know I now have an original K0 with a properly rebuilt motor, new pipes etc and all in for just over £3.5K which I consider reasonable
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal