Author Topic: REPLACING ROCKER COVER GASKET  (Read 1015 times)

Offline johncam

• View Profile
REPLACING ROCKER COVER GASKET
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
I am seeing various opinions about being able to replace the rocker cover gasket on a 750 without taking the engine out of the frame. Does anyone have experience of this? Can it be done?

I would also like to check the head bolt tightness so if it can be done without the engine coming out that would be great!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: REPLACING ROCKER COVER GASKET
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC. Yes, the rocker cover gasket can be replaced without the engine out but, very tricky. And No you can not do the head bolts in the frame , unless you cut the frame.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
This has been discussed before, and a few people reckon the rocker gasket can be done in situ, but it is very fiddly, and easy to f*ck up, personally I wouldn't try it. As for the head bolts, if the gasket isn't blowing leave well alone, if it is blowing, it's engine out time! Honda make no mention of retorquing the head once the motor has been run, so they don't think it necessary, and nor do I.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile

Offline johncam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
Thanks for the responses, have a much better idea now of what can be done – particularly after looking at the you tube video

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
If you have a leak, you need to be dead sure it's coming from the rocker cover gasket before doing this, they also leak through the rubber pucks under the camshaft holders, which still gets oil all over the same general area.

This one is a definite engine out job, it would be a shame to waste your time doing the gasket to find this was the true source.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
Hi all,
I managed to change the rocker cover gasket a few months ago. It was pretty easy if you are careful and now it doesn't leak. Just follow the chappie on you tube.
Tightening the head bolts - don't think so as you cannot get the rocker cover off; you're only able to lift it a centimetre or so which allows you to stretch the (very expensive) gasket over the top of the engine (one side at a time).
The reason it leaked is that I had put the gasket on the wrong way round: you'd think the sohc 4 is symmetrical - WRONG! The odd 'lump' on the gasket, that points inwards, goes on the LEFT (as you are sitting on the bike).
Mine not running at the moment; I'll post about that later..
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
The gasket can be changed cos I've done it before. Def a 2 person job though and needs patience and something for aching bones if you are working on the floor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal