Author Topic: Fork Gaiters  (Read 563 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Fork Gaiters
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »
The sun was shining yesterday so took the bike to town to pick up some groceries, such excitement, and upon my return I decided it was about time to replace my fork gaiters because they had started to perish and I had been meaning to do it for ages, finally resorting to gaffer tape.

I had been dreading this job, but, stripping down the forks was much easier than I remembered and it all went pretty smoothly and quickly. 

However, there is one problem which I can see I encountered the first time I put these on 22yrs ago; the top part of the rubber does not attach firmly to the headlamp bracket and keeps popping out.  Last time I had to use a jubilee clip as you can see and sadly have had to resort to the same method again.  Is there a better way of doing this or is it a common fault?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Gaiters
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »
Were they genuine part gaiters? Don't recall having issues with genuine ones, but people often don't want to spend that sort of money, so they buy pattern ones. Some are okay, some are truly awful, but a black cable tie will look better than a Jubilee clip ( other brands of hose clip are available!) And don't rust!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Gaiters
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 11:57:09 AM »
ah, David Silver aftermarket ones.  I thought 22.50 each was a bit steep for the genuine ones, now I know why.

Thank you for the idea about cable ties, hadn't thought of those, they would fit in the proper gap too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal