Author Topic: Head gasket sealing?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Dazza215

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket sealing?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
Ive just rebuilt my top end and didnt use any sealant on the head gasket. I torqued it down as stated in the book and it seems fine.
I dont ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride to add life to my days.

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »
Thanks. Loving the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"20 in a 40 is not safe driving"

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
I have rebuilt dozens of engines and never used any sealant on japanese motors except for the odd rocker cover where some models have no gasket and of course the mating crank case faces where I use blue Hylomar. I have never had an issues with leaks on any. I do grease paper gaskets, I know there has been loads of discussion on this, but I find it makes them more pliable and less likely to be damaged and also keeps them in place when fitting. I don't see the point of using sealant on rubber gaskets at all and can't understand why you would do this..   

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
Hi neilg, I'm just asking the question as there are loads of different views and methods out there. I did not use anything the first time and had no intention of the second time but after searching for answers I came across a load of people using copper slip and sealant with good reviews, so I asked here on this forum as it's been the bible of information for a first time builder like me. Thanks for your 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
I'm going to do the lot. Any tips when honing the cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
When you say honing the cylinders are you using an actual honing tool or a glaze buster type. If it's a glaze buster be very careful as to how you use it remember these are quite close tolerances that are used. Also keeping the thing straight can cause issues. I know they are supposed to self centre but as I say be careful, use a slow speed on the drill and work it up and down the bore to get the cross hatch. If you have an old set of barrels try a practice first on them.

Offline onethumb

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
Hi neilg, yep it's the deglaze type. Good idea on the barrels. I haven't got any knocking about but if someone wants me to practice on theirs I'm more than happy to give it a go. Thanks dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Just to explain my thoughts, I tried one on a Kawasaki Z250 I was building. Although I had it set on the smallest bore setting it was still tight so the springs were loaded. As I pulled the trigger the whole lot was sent spinning in my panic I pulled the tool out and of course my finger was still on the trigger so it went faster and exploded into pieces when it emerged from the bore and sprung open as it spun, (I'm actually laughing as I type and remember this). I've never tried it again and the last time I deglazed bores was on an old Bonneville, (a real one not the latest pretend model). I did that by hand and with fine emery cloth though they are a bit more solid and  not as precise as Hondas. I have considered a second attempt but if I did I would have some one hold the block on its side or clamp it in a vice this time. Remember the stones should be allowed to emerge from the bottom partly and not stop at the bottom as it would if you had it stood on it's base. And use plenty of oil to lubricate things. I think the issue is that these tools are really made for larger bores such as cars and not bikes, as I say even set on its smallest setting by the time it was squeezed into the small bike size bore there was quite a bit of tension on the springs.
Love to hear other peoples experiences wit these. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:40:29 PM by neilg »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
Just to deglaze is easier with a flap wheel

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal