Author Topic: Rumbling with clutch lever pulled in  (Read 1109 times)

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Rumbling with clutch lever pulled in
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
My CB500 doesn't get a lot of use but I fire it up weekly and let it run for half a hour. The clutch plates tend to stick to one another and I have to rev it and stand on the rear brake to free them. I did that last week but noticed afterwards a rumbling sound when I held the clutch lever in.
I've taken the outer clutch cover off and noticed rubbing on the raised boss on the inside of the cover (I have photographed it). It looks to have been rubbed by the clutch plate cover. Everything seems tight, there is a little bit of in/out movement in the clutch basket but I don't think it is exessive (1mm).
I'm just wondering if I've damaged anything?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rumbling with clutch lever pulled in
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
 1mm is at least 10 times too much!!

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
Oh dear I don't like the sound of that, it's the clutch outer drum with the in/out movement, the centre & plates and cover have no movement. The outer drum is only held on by a circling so not sure how I would eliviate it or why there would only be movement on the outer
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:00:58 AM by toucheturtle »

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »
The are listed by CMSNL and special order from DSS, 0.1 (90458-323-010), 0.3 and 0.5. Never seen one that wanted more than 0.2mm. And if the fault has suddenly developed, it is worrying and probably needs further dismantling to see if the circlip is in place correctly.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb500k1-four-england_model14660/spacer-01mm_90458323010/#.WQHs8NIrLtR

Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
I have taken the basket off, the shaft has 1mm of movement, I had the manual out and did notice the 3 different sized shins. Mine has a .2mm fitted, managed to source a.5mm from PlenterNZ. £11.50 including air mail. Will try that and see how much play remains. Wish I could stop the clutch plates from sticking together in future.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
The shaft should have zero movement, there is something wrong inside, srry but you are going to have to split the cases and inspect

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
That is so annoying, the engine is spot on and the gearbox works perfectly. I can adjust the clutch so it doesn't rub but if the end float is excessive I'll have to get it sorted. If the damage was caused by trying to free sticking clutch plates I don't know how I'm going to prevent it happening again

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »
Yep that sounds like a failed gearbox bearing. Full strip down required, sorry.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
How about a missing thrust washer that fits behind the clutch basket?   That's probably there to take up the end float so if thats missing...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:30:37 PM by mike the bike »
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 09:00:15 AM »
Don't remember there being a thrust washer, only thing I can think of is the half ring missing that holds the bearing in place as the bearing is a press fit on the shaft

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »
I'm just thinking of the 400 here, its a long time since I stripped a 550.  Best check the parts list.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline toucheturtle

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Well fearing the worst I ordered new bearings, the needle bearing had to come from America as they're pretty hard to get now. I bought a NOS mainshaft as well for £50 also from America. That shaft is the only part of the engine and gearbox which hasn't been replaced in the past so thought I'd go the whole hog.
While waiting for the the stuff to come the shim arrived from New Zealand, I thought I'd just try it with a new circlip. I put on and built up the clutch plates and fitted new clutch springs. There's absolutely no movement, I thought I'd replace the clutch cover and fill it with oil. I've run it and there's no rubbing and the gears and clutch work fine.
The steel plates were a bit grubby and the clutch plates were facing the wrong way. I've cleaned everything but don't know how I'm going to prevent the plates from sticking together in future. I read someone recommended pulling the clutch lever in and securing it in that position.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
Not a good idea, the springs are only meant to be compressed momentarily while pulling away/changing gear/waiting at junctions etc. To keep the lever pulled in for any period of time will weaken the springs, leading to clutch slip under power and that in turn will rapidly wear the clutch plates.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal