Author Topic: Idle issues  (Read 3696 times)

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Idle issues
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »
the 500 carbs are fine on the 550, they were just jetted differently from the factory
If you dont have the airbox to put back on, your just going to have to work with what youve got, either way youll definiely need to drop the needle clip to the 3rd slot to richen up the mid range, if youve already got 110 and 115 main jets throw either of them in, 115 if your exhaust is particuarly open and see how it pulls with wide open throttle
I have seen aftermarket pilot jets that are alot shorter than the stock keihin jets, do your pilot jets have a logo on them? oem keihin is always better. That may be causing your idling issue.

These adjustments need to be made to run right with your set up anyway, regardless of the idle being the main concern right now.
what rpm are you idling the bike at?
Also what position is the choke lever in when your running it, it wouldnt be the first time the position of choke on and off was confused (the thump tab on the choke lever becoming horizontal is full choke)

Phil

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
definitely worth trying different jets.  have you done a plug chop to note the colour?

even though my bike is non-standard it runs very well and smoothly so it can be done without the standard air box, just requires a bit of patience to set up.

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
Sorry my mistake they aren't the carbs I said. Specsavers here we come. Tip - replace the brass screws that hold the needle slides to the lifting arms with stainless steel capscrews. Getting a screwdriver in is not easy but an allen key is much slimmer and makes it far easier to unscrew them and get them back in again. 
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
Turns out having taken the bowls off today that he has put #38 idles jets in and #98 mains jets in!!!
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2017, 10:52:30 PM »
Thats stock jetting I'm running 40 pilot and 110 main  1 1/2 out on  the a/f screw. That's with 069a carbs, unipods and 4 into 1 header with a short reverse megaphone.

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »
Hey gordo,

What position is your needle???

Thanks

Al
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
Honestly can't remember if it's third or fourth down. Think I'm third down but did drop to fourth at one point.

Offline philgresty

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
2nd from the top is stock, 3rd should be good, 4th will most likely be too rich, unless the engine is hopped up a bit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal