Author Topic: Chrome  (Read 1307 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Chrome
« on: May 05, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
Sadly, the front mudguard now has so many holes it has become beyond usefulness even by my standards.

Luckily, I managed to find a replacement on ebay for £35 which is pretty good I think. (wondering if anyone here was the seller?) The only problem is, it's so good it will look too shiny on my bike.  I might have to get the Brasso out and shine up the other bits to match! 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:22:19 AM by florence »

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
You could leave the mudguard outside overnight with a watering of battery acid on it and match it to the bike.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
You could leave the mudguard outside overnight with a watering of battery acid on it and match it to the bike.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »
I thought I could just smear it with grease, then the road dirt will stick to it.

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »
Hi florence,
                 I just sold one on ebay for £35. It had a slight dent at the front. Does it sound like the one you bought????....Pete

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
Well I have to say thanks very much Pete, yes, I think it was, pete-hatfield?  It's not perfect but its in very good condition and will do the job very well.  In fact it looks a bit too good for my bike.  My old one suddenly went to holes everywhere and I was worried about it structurally although the MOT man didn't seem bothered about the gaffer tape repairs.

With great enthusiasm and extremely foolishly, after dinner and half a bottle of wine I tried to take the old one off without removing the wheel and managed to spike the fork gaiter with the brake pipe bracket.  I'm very annoyed with myself.  When I have ordered a new gaiter I will fit it properly, without wine, by removing the front wheel and then will have to get the chrome cleaner out and polish the rest of the chrome to try to match.

Thanks again,

Steve

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 12:58:50 AM »
Hiya Steve,
                yes thats me...Pete-Hatfield. Listen ive just took my old fork gators off and replaced the seals then replaced the gators with the cup type. They look much better than the socks and are a lot cheaper too. Also don't know if your bothered but ive replaced the rear mudguard on mine and still have the old one. Its not brilliant but it may be better than the one you have on  yours. If you want it you can have it for postage. Let me know
Pete

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
Pete, good advice about cups, only problem is I think the forks are quite rusty under the gaiters.  The part that goes through the seal is good but rest is not great.

Thank you for the kind offer of the rear mudguard.  The one on my bike is pretty good so not worth taking off but thanks all the same. 

If you are rejecting these your bike must be very shiny.  Is it a 500 or 550?

Steve

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
hi Steve,
             its a 1977 CB550f. I've spent the past year replacing parts, cleaning others up and generally painting and polishing etc. Also stripped the carbs off (what a job that was) and cleaned up, synced etc

Offline peteuk

• SOHC Associate
  • Honda CB550f
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 11:35:31 AM »
PS, i've posted some recent pictures in the gallery

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »