Author Topic: What brake lever is this?  (Read 1862 times)

FatFreddy

What brake lever is this?
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:34:46 PM »
I have a 1979 CB750F2 (with a F1 engine) and the brake lever has broken at the end. I ahve been in touch with David Silver Spares to get a replacement, but they have sent me something completely different. They have told me that they have sent the correct lever for the model of bike. But it doesn't match with what i have.

By looking at the enclosed picture, can anyone out there tell me what model of bike my (broken) lever has come off?

Cheers

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re:What brake lever is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:04:43 PM »
It's very difficult to tell from the picture of the lever alone. It is possible that you have a non-standard brake master cylinder.

Post a picture of the whole unit.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

FatFreddy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »
Cheers Steve,
Have a butchers at this then...

Any ideas then?

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:54:44 AM »
THat's an F2 lever, the \"finger\" at the pivot end  operates the break switch.

You have to be specific with Mr Silver, because if you order online and register your bike as, say an F1 if you order parts they will send F1 parts. I had exactly the same problem, I have an F1 with an F2 front end, orded an F2 lever online and got sent an F1 one.

Rang them about it, to be told they had check my records when I purchased it, and they sent it because they thought I had made a mistake.

Nive to have you back \"Fred\", you got your \"holey\" engine  sorted then?
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

FatFreddy

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 07:36:26 PM »
Hello there JonnyB.

My word, you must have the memory of an elephant. Or have you been consulting the records?! Is my old login name still 'alive'? I've changed ISP since last, and i think both me and forum system got a bit confused so i just adapted to a new name.

By the way, that old holed F2 engine has long been passed on for spares, and has been replaced with what i could hold of at the time, which is a F1 engine.

Which is what is probably causing the problem here with the brake lever. I ordered the brake lever at the same time as the ignition points, condenser and backing plate. And i specifically told Mr Silver and Co in the email that it was a F1 engine in a F2 frame. I even gave them the engine and frame numbers.

So i probably have a F1 front brake lever (and maybe F2 points, condenser and backing plate ?!). Have a look at the picture below and if you recognise the lever please let me know.

I like that \"they sent it because they thought I had made a mistake.\"
That's reassuring! I wonder if they think i'm stupid too! What ever happened to \"the customer is always right\"?

Well, i'll wait and see if you know if my suspicions about the above lever are right, and then get in touch with Silver esq.

Cheers

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 08:27:46 PM »
Yep Fred,

That's an F1 lever, you can't blame DSS for being consistant, I had to ring them and just ask for an F2 lever, that's when they told me that they had checked my order against my records, and decided to send me what they thought I wanted.

The difference between the F1 and F2 is that the brake switch is operated from the lever on the F2 and a pressure switch on the fork yoke on the F1.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E

John

FatFreddy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 10:24:02 PM »
Thanks JonnyB.
I'll get in touch with them tomorrow. I would send an email but that would just initiate the throwing of fuel on fire sequence. Plus my ISP, UKOnline, has safeguarded me from doing so by rendering their email service useless until sometime tomorrow. Nice.

In the meantime i'll post a new topic about me carbs.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 07:54:11 AM »
If you want I can let you have an email account on this server, I never had any downtime (Jinx).

You could be fatfreddy(at)honda-sohc.

They are
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal