Author Topic: V5 Advice!  (Read 2286 times)

Offline xriccix

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
V5 Advice!
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:42:44 PM »
So the CB750 chopper I bought came with a V5 with the old frame number and a different engine number. Therefore is essentially wrong, it's for a 1977 CB750 when mine is a '75.

Whilst I'm never going to have the right frame number it would be nice to get the correct engine number and year. What's the best way to get this sorted?? Can I get a new V5 just based on the engine number and then sell the old V5 with the old frame (which I have)?

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: V5 Advice!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:33:05 AM »
What is the new frame, is it modified CB750 or aftermarket?
If modified with clear numbers you could go through the process of registering it. If aftermarket I think you'd need an SVA test.

I think it would be too risky to try to change the engine number and year on the current V5 as they may wish to inspect it.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »
DVLA will never issue a V5 on engine number only frame number

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
Are you saying the frame has a different number to the V5?

Offline xriccix

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
It's an aftermarket frame, so has no frame number. But I have the frame the V5 belongs too.

Are there any issues just leaving it as it is and trying to change the current engine number?

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
Have I got this right, you have a V5 with none of the details correct for your chopper - engine, frame or year?  Have you managed to get an MOT? If so, what number did he enter into the system, as the number on the frame should tally with his system?  It might be easier if the frame is not marked!!!
Changing the engine number used to be straightforward but they might insist on a receipt now.  Some Yam V5s don't even list the engine number - my mid 90's XJR12 and VMAX didn't.
Be careful what you tell or ask them, or as others say, you might end up down the SVA and Q reg route.  I don't think it's easy to change year without verified dating evidence.

Ian

Offline xriccix

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Have I got this right, you have a V5 with none of the details correct for your chopper - engine, frame or year?  Have you managed to get an MOT? If so, what number did he enter into the system, as the number on the frame should tally with his system?  It might be easier if the frame is not marked!!!
Changing the engine number used to be straightforward but they might insist on a receipt now.  Some Yam V5s don't even list the engine number - my mid 90's XJR12 and VMAX didn't.
Be careful what you tell or ask them, or as others say, you might end up down the SVA and Q reg route.  I don't think it's easy to change year without verified dating evidence.

Ian

It's currently in parts and nowhere near ready for an MOT. I have the old frame that matches the V5. But the chopper frame has no markings at all. The engine I have does not match the V5.

Looking into it I'd be happy if I can just change the engine number to the correct engine in the chopper frame.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
If it's an aftermarket frame with no numbers, you have a whole lot of aggro ahead of you. Legally it will be classed as a new vehicle, and need to be registered as such. Which will mean SVA test, and the vehicle complying with relevant construction and use regs in current force, mirrors, indicators etc, and now abs for "new" motorcycles above 125cc. It must also comply with current noise and emissions regs, which I don't reckon an old SOHC motor will ever do, and it won't be tax exempt for 40 years after registration!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
The less than legal options start with withdrawing as much information that you've made public as you can - including this thread.

You wont/shouldn't be able to get an MOT without frame numbers matching V5. Some testers are happy with a vin plate others insist on a stamped head stock.
I've seen people get away with original head stocks welded into aftermarket frames, or frames stamped, or vin plates attached.

There's a points system for what qualifies as a new vehicle, https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:11:21 AM by totty »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
Well that document states the best you can hope for is a "Q" plate, as with a non standard frame you're 5 points down to start with! Chances are the forks won't be standard either, so you have a lot of hassle ahead!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
What's the state of the original frame; is it scrap or is it viable as a frame?   If it's scrap then I would cut the number off the headstock and weld it onto the new frame.
If the old frame is still viable, then technically you'll be issued with a new number as you can't have two bikes (potentially ) with the same number.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »
Do you know if/when it was MoTd as a chopper? If you've no info check the reg on the DVLA site. I have seen some pretty dodgy restamped frames go through MoTs, but yours is bound to attract special attention.
According to the DVLA to change engine numbers they ask for dealer paperwork, but once "Historic" I'm hoping mine will go through. It's not an MoT issue.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 11:22:39 AM »
I've done an engine number change recently. As I didn't have a receipt for it I needed a letter from a garage confirming the engine number and the number of the frame it was fitted to. However they DVLA can ask to inspect it or ask for an engineers report - in your case I'd be reluctant to risk it.

Offline xriccix

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys!

I have the frame on the V5 and its fine. I'm thinking the best I can hope for us trying to get the engine number changed and then getting a vin plate made up.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 04:45:04 PM »
If i'm reading this correctly, you have a custom bike without a frame number and another 750 frame with a V5...... For paperwork reasons these are totally different vehicles as the engine number does not really matter for V5 purposes....... If your feeling a bit cheeky, you could get a 750 Vin plate made up with the other frames number and rivet it to the headstock of the custom then destroy the 750 frame (grind off the frame number). Change the V5 into your name and put it on SORN, you can then change the engine number at will later.......... For heavens sake don't try to sell the 750 frame afterwards as a policeman will come........ All this is of course very illegal and I would have nothing to do with such an idea ever, honest officer......... I think the above dastardly deed is called Ringing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:48:17 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal