Author Topic: Were where this lot found, under a bush?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Were where this lot found, under a bush?
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
Well if not under a bush we have a serial CB72/77 gauge collector and as can be seen from the image they are dire. Following a conversation from the owner I thought I was getting two gauges, not sure how two developed into nine. The bezels were removed by the owner, I hate to think what they are like.

At least with four of them there's little hope due to excessive wear at the drive end and bent needle pins where whoever removed the needles didn't use the well known two teaspoon method applying equal pressure both sides.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] I do like a bit of a challenge but this little lot are pushing the boundaries!   

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Were where this lot found, under a bush?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
I'm sure you will be able to make at least one good one out of that lot, I have a CB77 with a virtually new old stock speedo but I can't remember if the bezel is held on like the 400/4's by crimping.  Perhaps not as bad as the fours with it being oval - might have a bit more 'wiggle room'
Btw, I think the last one in the pic, bottom right was a special Australian version  :)
Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Crikey Pete, and I was only just talking about you doing mine. The one I have is like brand new compared to those. In good nick they change hands for about £250 on eBay (ask Ash). So there's over 2k of gauges there.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
Crikey Pete, and I was only just talking about you doing mine. The one I have is like brand new compared to those. In good nick they change hands for about £250 on eBay (ask Ash). So there's over 2k of gauges there.

The £250 is for the CB450K0 Bomber clocks Roy (mostly made by Fuji Electric). I bought a lovely CB72 Nippon Seiki  early one at Lincoln autojumble including the rare seal and perfect headlamp bucket for £80 at Lincoln Autojumble a couple of weeks ago. The seller said he's never used eBay or the like.

I have a CB250 JDM dual clock like that too that I am restoring. Yes they are crimped .. I am making a milled out piece of plastic to aid removal/reassembly of the bezel.

Sure you will make a superb job of one of them Peter. Just hoping that its not the post 1966 one you have to do as its not contra-rotating like the others.

The 548 miler looks clean and interesting.

Roger Etcell (Hondarestorations in Towcester) had loads of them in bits if you need any parts (I know the guy he got them from)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:54:00 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
Some bl**do sado's out there  ;D And they have been breeding in the shed since this was taken !
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
Ash the 500 miler is one that a very poor restoration attempt, the needle pins are bent and the underside of the needles are touching the dial face screws. It's had a dial face overlay and it's torn around the counter aperture. The mileage counter wheels are seized, they are aluminium rather that the later Seiki plastic wheels. Taking those apart is not for the faint hearted.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
After swapping mechanism, discarding those where the drive spindle housings were worn to excess and freeing off drive spindles what were seized I managed to get three gauges out of the pile. It would seem that excessively worn drive spindle housings are a frequent occurrence, probably caused by vibration and easy to check without dismantling by placing a small screwdriver firmly in the drive cable square.  If it's possible to move the spindle up and down any more than a very small amount there is little that can be done. Fortunately the later design of gauges fitted to the SOHC models don't seem to suffer drive wear housings to the same extent. 

They all have dial face overlays and the red tenth of mile counter drums have been overlaid with a strip of numbers printed on vinyl. Additionally the bases have been re-zinc plated and the needles painted.

The bezels where supplied re-chromed, the are dent-free although they don't look great in the images and I rather wish that whoever removed them had taken a more care while doing it. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
Looking good, as usual Peter. How much play is acceptable on those mechanisms ... as you have got me worried now ... no point being a hoarder of shiny parts if the parts don't function properly  :). Is there nothing that can be done to fix the excessive  play? My most complicated one is the CB250K0 JDM one, as it has the speed pickup inside it for the Japan market lamp that illuminates above a certain speed.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »
The movement between the gauge drive spindle and the housing should be hardly discernible. The image on the left shows how much gap the is between the internal magnet and the cover. It's probably  only a millimetre.

The image in the middle shows the magnet that's connected to the drive spindle and the image on the right shows the magnet cover. If there's excess movement in the drive spindle the magnet connected to it will touch the cover that will cause the needle to become erratic and in some cases the needle to go right around the gauge and break the hair spring that controls the calibration.

The magnet is flared onto the drive spindle so removal is possible but subsequently re-securing it successfully would be difficult.  A bush would then need to be fitted in the housing, I would imagine it would be difficult to get the spindle correctly aligned and would require some skill. You can see from the image on the left how the gauge front panel is secured to the frame, four tiny tabs that are part of the main frame and removal requires careful use of a  Dremel. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] This needs to be removed to re-fill the damper or remove anything that's become jammed between the magnet and cover.

Not seen one with an over-speed warning Ash and would be interesting to know how that works

The tacho on these old gauges seem to suffer drive housing wear more the speedo, the only reason for this maybe that engine vibration is transmitted  via the cable to the tacho drive spindle. This does not seem to occur on SOHC bikes but their gauge design is slightly different.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal