Author Topic: Slow indicators  (Read 1391 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Slow indicators
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:40:33 PM »
Seem to remember a post about this but can't find it

I have upgraded to a 55/60 headlight and when on idle at lights the flash rate drops to very slow.

I am assuming that this is because the voltage drops off due to the higher light current draw

Is there a simple fix any of you gurus out there can suggest
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Slow indicators
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 06:27:57 AM »
If originality is not paramount to you, try a flasher unit rated for led indicators. They are electronic rather than mechanical, and have a constant flash rate regardless of voltage, and as the unit is behind the side panel nobody else will know!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:41:55 AM »
Here's an observation I made the other day. When I replace a 18 Watts indicator bulb by a 21 Watts one, flash rate increases.

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
Replace your tail light and indicators with LED's. Get a new LED flasher relay. Get a Phillips Eco H4 headlamp bulb. Total cost for me was about £16. Haven't had to think about my electrical system since.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Here's an observation I made the other day. When I replace a 18 Watts indicator bulb by a 21 Watts one, flash rate increases.
That's because the heating coil within the flasher unit heats faster, and consequently breaks the circuit faster, causing a faster flash rate. Electronic flasher units which are used for led bulbs have a constant flash rate, unaffected by different wattage bulbs, even a blown bulb will not affect the flash rate of the remaining bulb.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »

even a blown bulb will not affect the flash rate of the remaining bulb.
I consider that a shortcoming actually. These electronic flash units, don't they need extra diodes? I am not fond of Led blinkers and brakelights. I find them quite 'dead' compared to the lively glow on glow off bulbs that thus draw more attention.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
No, they don't need any diodes/resistors etc if used with conventional bulbs. I know indicators not flashing with a conventional flasher is a useful warning that a bulb has failed, but it can also mess about if all earths are not clean etc. The advantages of electronic flasher units far outweigh the inconvenience of checking the indicators before riding, which as a responsible rider you would do anyway, along with headlight, tail and brake light? Too many years driving buses and coaches make it second nature to me!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
The advantages of electronic flasher units far outweigh the inconvenience of checking the indicators before riding
But... you don't have to with conventional (and that was my point): the changed flash rate will tell you rightaway, where as the electronic will tell you nothing.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
If originality is not paramount to you, try a flasher unit rated for led indicators. They are electronic rather than mechanical, and have a constant flash rate regardless of voltage, and as the unit is behind the side panel nobody else will know!

Sounds like a plan any source/ manufacturer  recommendations
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 06:32:35 AM »
Just for anyone else ...

I got one of these from flea bay forest £2.50 inc delivery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201730668979

Fits really snug using the rubber original mount point where the old one did and works a treat -- you can even change the flash rate.

Works fine with the standard filament bulbs and constant flash rate with lights on even with my 55/60W upgraded light and at any revs

I guess the benefit of electronics over bi-metallic strips from the 70's😀😀

Personally an upgrade I'd highly recommend may not please the purists but I'd go for safety and visibility any time over purism!!

I'll be at Crich on Sunday if anyone there wants a look
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:56:37 AM by paulbaker1954 »

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:20:34 AM »
Glad you're happy with the result, and nobody can see it hidden away on the bike!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:29:02 AM »
Got one on mine, only in black.  As you say; more reliable than the old bimetallic strip types.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »
If you're running original filament lamps x 4 it will be interesting to see if it burns out as it's only rated for 2 x 21w lamps plus the idiot/pilot lamp. I think from memory they're 21w each and a 5w pilot. Obviously leds are rated much less which is what I guess this unit is aimed at.
Peter

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:18 AM »
I've had mine for a few years with no bother,  maybe that rating is continuous not intermittent.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 02:22:50 PM »
If you're running original filament lamps x 4 it will be interesting to see if it burns out
x4? How is that? Do you have plans to turn left and right simultaneously?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal