Author Topic: Hi - New Member needing advice on buying a CB750  (Read 1495 times)

Offline gvhbiker

• View Profile
Hi - New Member needing advice on buying a CB750
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
Hi.

My name is Geoff & I've been a biker for more years than I care to remember. I ride a modern R1200GS, & also have a 66 Bonneville, a 59 Triumph Speed Twin, a 74 Norton Commando & a 61 Triumph Tiger Cub.

I had a beautiful restored CB750F from about 2001 to 2012 which I sold after I bought a Z900 and it's one of those "wish I'd never sold it" bikes.

As I'm not riding my old bikes enough I'm thinking about selling all of the old Brits except the Bonnie & buying a CB750 K1 I've been offered - and that's where I need advice!

I've yet to see it in the flesh but pictures of the bike look stunning, it has been restored to a very high standard & has won prizes, but whoever restored it apparently didn't stamp the numbers on the new frame & engine casing. It's registered with the DVLA & on the road - so no issues there - the asking price is right for the bike but what about resale potential? If I'm cautious won't a potential buyer years down the line be equally wary? I need to check everything out & see the bike for myself but, assuming it's all legitimate, what are peoples views? Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
1972 Honda CB500 K0
1966 Triumph Bonneville
1971 Triumph Trident T150
1974 Norton Commando (aka the money pit)
2013 BMW R1200GS
Sadly, no more space!!!!!!!!

Offline Clunker

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi - New Member needing advice on buying a CB750
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
Hello Geoff and welcome. I can't help you with your questions, I've owned probably around 50 different bikes in my time but never a CB750 :( well not yet anyway! Hope you get the help you need. Regards, Clunker.
Usually sat on a bucket polishing my nuts.

Offline RGP750

• SOHC Master
  • "always look on the bright side of life"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Hi Ya and welcome to the forum.
Better experts on here than me ,
personally sounds dodgy with no numbers on the frame and engine.
If you want to go for it put some photos up on here just how "correct" is it lots of changes over the
early years, you will get ideas on the value but only after seeing details.
basically is it "correct" or just "pretty" or are you worried about originality?.
Rich
1972 500/4
1973 CB175
1972 CB175
1959 BSA Super rocket
1927 960cc Matchless 'v' twin
1969 750 K0

Offline gvhbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »
As I said, not seen it yet, but I'm assuming it's "correct" as I'm told it's won prizes at VJMCC events.

I am bothered about correctness, & will post some pics once I've seen it in the flesh - thanks for your reply.
1972 Honda CB500 K0
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2013 BMW R1200GS

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Not dodgy if they haven't been welded over or ground off. New spare frames from Honda did not have numbers, the dealer that replaced the frame should have stamped it with the numbers from the frame it replaced (bent or otherwise damaged) The same was true of replacement crankcase sets, and a lot of early 750s needed them due to damage from broken drive chain. I bought a newly frame for £90 from D.S. more then 20 years ago, got it stamped by a dealer for £10. Also bought crankcases, but sold them for 3 times what I paid for them, again no numbers. If you do buy it, you can get them stamped, stops any hassle from plod, and deter thieves!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline gvhbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
Not dodgy if they haven't been welded over or ground off. New spare frames from Honda did not have numbers, the dealer that replaced the frame should have stamped it with the numbers from the frame it replaced (bent or otherwise damaged) The same was true of replacement crankcase sets, and a lot of early 750s needed them due to damage from broken drive chain. I bought a newly frame for £90 from D.S. more then 20 years ago, got it stamped by a dealer for £10. Also bought crankcases, but sold them for 3 times what I paid for them, again no numbers. If you do buy it, you can get them stamped, stops any hassle from plod, and deter thieves!

Brilliant - thank you, that's really helpful!
1972 Honda CB500 K0
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2013 BMW R1200GS

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 01:35:26 PM »

So did dealers back in the day have the correct Honda stamps to stamp engine and ViN nos as per the factory? The honda font is unique to Honda...

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
My local dealer at the time had a set back then, as they repaired/rebuilt a lot of crashed bikes, but that was 20+Years ago, although I doubt they would just throw them away!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Geoff. I love your list of Brit Bikes, I would be a very happy bunny having any of them indoors. Just out of interest, how has the K1 been MOT'd in the past with no numbers, is it a UK or USA bike?.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
Welcome ..

I didn't know correct Honda Font stamps were available outside use in the factory but I may be wrong.

I have a CB250K0 frame which is unstamped and I have the V5C for it in my name for it  plus a  NOS set of blank CB250K0 crankcases, so theoretically,  I  could build an engine using those cases and put it in  the unstamped frame with the V5C and it would be perfectly legitimate. I suppose an MOT man would insist on me stamping at least the frame but they wouldn't be bothered about the font style. However your K1 is always going to be a 'bitsa' and this will reflect in it's value. K1's have risen in value a lot over the past few years but buyers of K0/K1's are often very fussy about matching numbers etc. As a guestimate I would knock 15-20% off the 'normal' matching no's price  in similar condition for it  and if he wants full value I would walk away. UK vs  USA bike prices are also a lot different for 750 K0/K1's ....... UK bikes are rare and command a higher price.

My mate is into collecting Brit bikes and would probably be interested in the Tiger Cub if you are selling it,
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline gvhbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Geoff. I love your list of Brit Bikes, I would be a very happy bunny having any of them indoors. Just out of interest, how has the K1 been MOT'd in the past with no numbers, is it a UK or USA bike?.

Hi - thanks.

Its a UK bike. I don't know how it's been MOT'd - I'm speaking to the owner tonight & that's one of my questions but the V5 carries the numbers & if it's anything like my local MOT station it could have been done of the last MOT certificate!!!!
1972 Honda CB500 K0
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2013 BMW R1200GS

Offline gvhbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »
Welcome ..

I didn't know correct Honda Font stamps were available outside use in the factory but I may be wrong.

I have a CB250K0 frame which is unstamped and I have the V5C for it in my name for it  plus a  NOS set of blank CB250K0 crankcases, so theoretically,  I  could build an engine using those cases and put it in  the unstamped frame with the V5C and it would be perfectly legitimate. I suppose an MOT man would insist on me stamping at least the frame but they wouldn't be bothered about the font style. However your K1 is always going to be a 'bitsa' and this will reflect in it's value. K1's have risen in value a lot over the past few years but buyers of K0/K1's are often very fussy about matching numbers etc. As a guestimate I would knock 15-20% off the 'normal' matching no's price  in similar condition for it  and if he wants full value I would walk away. UK vs  USA bike prices are also a lot different for 750 K0/K1's ....... UK bikes are rare and command a higher price.

My mate is into collecting Brit bikes and would probably be interested in the Tiger Cub if you are selling it,

Hi. Thanks.

It's a UK bike & the price seems to be about right for the number issue.

Regarding the Cub, I bought it as a project - more a construction kit really, engine has been professionally rebuilt, powder coating & paint done, wheels done, etc. The work done is top quality but the paint job isn't correct for the year - it's been done as a "mini Bonnie" - just as we used to do them back in the day! If it's of interest I can send him some pics.

Cheers

Geoff
1972 Honda CB500 K0
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2013 BMW R1200GS

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »

Hi - thanks.

Its a UK bike. I don't know how it's been MOT'd - I'm speaking to the owner tonight & that's one of my questions but the V5 carries the numbers & if it's anything like my local MOT station it could have been done of the last MOT certificate!!!!
So how would you know the MOT relates to that bike and how would you know if it's a K1 engine in a K1 frame without stripping the engine to see if it has K1 bits in it?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline gvhbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 06:36:02 PM »

Hi - thanks.

So how would you know the MOT relates to that bike and how would you know if it's a K1 engine in a K1 frame without stripping the engine to see if it has K1 bits in it?
Very good point!!!!
1972 Honda CB500 K0
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2013 BMW R1200GS

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
On a U.K. bike there should be a makers plate riveted to a front downtube of the frame, the V.J.M.C.C. would have severely criticised if it was missing. When you get to see it in the flesh, the frame number on the plate should match the number on the V5. If it doesn't, then something is very wrong :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal