Author Topic: Side Stand Problemo  (Read 832 times)

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
Side Stand Problemo
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
I have a CB550 and for some reason when on its side stand it leans over way too far!
I do have nobly tires on which the previous owner installed. Could this raise the bike enough to cause it to lean so much.
I mean its that bad I am frightened of leaving it. Every time I put it down it leans beyond that point when I think I haven't kicked it down! lol

Any help appreciated as always!

Alan

If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Side Stand Problemo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
Just carry a piece of wood or whatever and slide it under it  ;D .

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
As regards the cause, any tyres with a height greater than the standard fitment will cause your problem, also rear shocks any longer than stock will make it even worse!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »
Maybe it's bent ?, how about a longer stand from another bike?, need the measure what you need or alternatively weld a wide plate to the bottom of the stand to widen the footing?.
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »
Maybe it's bent ?, how about a longer stand from another bike?, need the measure what you need or alternatively weld a wide plate to the bottom of the stand to widen the footing?.

it also could have play in the mounting,if it moves in-out on the pivot.
try removing it,clamp the mountings in a vice and squeeze them closer,then re-install and see if it helps
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »
Cured this problem on mine some time ago and you may have the same problem.  I hope I can explain it. The bolt that goes through the flanges on the top of the sidestand and the lug that is attached to the frame to hold everything in place is part threaded and goes into a thread in the inner flange of the stand with a locking nut on the thread protruding through. On mine the length of unthreaded bolt that the stand swings on appeared to be too long and as the weight was put on the stand it made the flanges splay apart and this free play allowed the stand to lean out further than it should. The answer was to get a washer of suitable thickness and diameter for the bolt and then tighten it up so it pulled the flanges back parallel and tight up to the frame lug but not too tight that the stand couldn't swing. Then put the locknut on the back and tighten up. There is now no lateral play in the stand and it holds the bike at the correct angle.  JohnWebley was ptobably right on the diagnosis but if you don't put the washer in place to take up the free play on the bolt then the weight of the bike will just splay the flanges out again.   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:14:17 PM by Ashdowner »
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:19:09 PM »
Had a similar problem with a Triumph Trophy as the hole wore oval so I drilled it out and fitted a bronze bush been great since.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal