Author Topic: Fork seals, Honda set better than copies?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Fork seals, Honda set better than copies?
« on: July 02, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
Have a problem with mine now, new seals from pyramid, no major scoring to forks, just normal wear but in excellent condition. Fitted seals last summer, all good fitted new rubber geaters. Now my left fork is leaking badly, noticed a small oil slick and check under the gaters and it was full of oil. Bugger. Goner have to take off and redo this again. Problem is have not been out on it yet, still completing the bike.

Are Honda seals better than others?, right fork is fine no leaks. And yes I have fitted the correct way up. Maybe use a bit of sealent next time. Trigger you have Honda set of seals for k7?
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Fork seals, Honda set better than copies?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
Honda seals are indeed much better they are dual lip seals, which most pattern parts aren't. Have a good look at the alloy slider around where the seal goes in, sometimes previous owners damage and gouge the alloy trying to get the old seals out, and they will leak from there even with genuine seals. The best solution other than a new slider is a thin bead of silicone sealer inside the slider as you go to fit the seal. DON'T use hylomar or other non setting goo!!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fork seals, Honda set better than copies?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »
Yep just as I thought, Honda seals needed. Thanks hairygit. Will try silicone when fitting them
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal