Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 3819 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Dunno if it's worth talking about ratings on this thread?

The speed rating should be sufficient even if it's not that far above the max of the bike. It's tested for the tire design for a continuous / sustained speed at the rating applied. Seems to me they do this on a rig with the tire also loaded ( can't see if it's max load rating or typical average use) to make sure it doesn't fail under those conditions.
Interestingly,  the tire manufacturers generally say that if the tire has been damaged, altered, underinflated or overloaded, then the speed rating would not apply, obviously! Many will not guarantee speed rating if a puncture repair has been made either as they have no way of controlling the technical aspects of the repair.
Exactly what the mot says about it someone with current knowledge would have to chip in about how or if they check speed rating against original specs.

The speed rating on its own seems to generate alot of differing views as to legality or if it's an insurance issue, in reality one of liability. There are views that say it's not stated in motoring law what speed rating should be used, only that the vehicle should not be driven above the tire's marked limit. It comes up primarily with cars when looking at winter tires as for example a tire with a V rating original fit may not be available in a pure winter / snow tire.  They do fit a lower speed rating as the vehicle can be driven safely on this combination if you don't exceed the marked maximum.

There's another part of the spec that is relevant if not more important than the speed figure. It's usually placed in front of the speed designation (for example 66v) and gives a maximum loading for that tire.
This is far more absolute in terms of use as you don't reduce the weight placed on it regardless of speed driven. You can only load it upward as in adding a passenger. Overloading a tire will most likely make it fail.

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
I want a classic look so was looking at the Avon Speedmasters.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/avon-am6-speedmaster-mkii-3-25-19-54-s-front-tt?origin=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv_fKBRCGARIsAL6R6ei6Iy2pq3cZ6lztYK4_wkWgkrWZema28h5Anbz5mFvtOd_toRbYK3UaAhzuEALw_wcB

They have a speed rating of S which I suppose is minimally sufficient. They also have a rating of 212 kg. Maybe a stupid question but does this weight include the rider or is it just the bike.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »
Another member on here pointed out that the speed ratings of the tyres DS sells for the 400/4 (and CB350F, CB250/350K0) do not meet  Honda's  top quoted  speed of those bikes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:21:26 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
I want a classic look so was looking at the Avon Speedmasters.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/avon-am6-speedmaster-mkii-3-25-19-54-s-front-tt?origin=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv_fKBRCGARIsAL6R6ei6Iy2pq3cZ6lztYK4_wkWgkrWZema28h5Anbz5mFvtOd_toRbYK3UaAhzuEALw_wcB

They have a speed rating of S which I suppose is minimally sufficient. They also have a rating of 212 kg. Maybe a stupid question but does this weight include the rider or is it just the bike.
The weight rating is all up maximum load, bike, rider, passenger and luggage, you add the total of the front and rear tyre rating, and stay well within it!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
As far as I know (guess it assumes something like a 50 / 50 weight distribution) you'd add the two tires together and the total would have to support the bike and rider, plus passenger, plus anything else you carry.

You have to look at how they describe the weight capacity. I've recently put some on a car and they give load capacity in Kilos at 50psi, which of course you don't ordinarily use. So you have to understand what load is available at the tire pressure you run.

I was looking at it for the car to in effect work back through from tire choice to get a start point pressure for a non standard tire. I got them to weigh the car at our local dump on their calibrated weighbridge,  then added people plus payload to get a start point.

The thing about overloading a tire is it builds up temperature quickly and either the tread delaminate from the carcass as the bonding goes over temp, or the carcass fails and deflates, fast,  usually.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 06:49:13 PM »
Mine overlapped as you'd posted there hairygit, I've obviously stated the same as you. Apologies.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
Mine overlapped as you'd posted there hairygit, I've obviously stated the same as you. Apologies.
No problem, great minds and all that!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »
If you want the classic look and value grip get the Continental RB2/K112 They are a classic 70's tyre but made with modern compounds.

Interestingly both my bikes have the same speed/load rating H
The rear last around 6000miles on the 750 and I often cruse along at 80/90mph non stop for an hour on my average commute
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 07:19:32 PM »
I tried opono and after six week no tyres and a fight to get my money back! Be carefull

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
  Try these guys they do classic tyres.

http://www.wheelhousetyres.co.uk

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 08:21:06 PM »
Those Continental tires look really good on these old bike Mick, they make good quality kit I think. Continental that is, they do certainly have patterns close to original types.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:44 PM »
I'm happy with them rain or shine not a scary moment yet. The rear on the 750 is getting a bit squared off now and twitch's a little on white lines now but its predictable   
I just think old bikes with modern tyres looks so wrong
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »
I actually run a 4.00 / 18 on the rear of my 500/550's and don't have any issues.  (Yet). I'm sure the more senior / experienced members on the forum will shoot me down. I run continental rb2/k112 and really like them.

M&P do good deals on a pair...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141307000267

Who told you about those James  ;)
I run them on the 550 and 750
My 550 and 750 both have 4.00/18 on the rear
Have been running them for years Mick - I think I told you ha ha!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »
Has anyone looked at Bridgestone Accolade AC03 / AC04 tires as they have tread patterns they look in keeping with this era with ribbed front and conventional rear.

Think they fitted them as original on the Kawasaki W650 retro bike.

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »
Could anyone identify these ones

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal