Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 3821 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »

I  like to keep part worn sm, mk11 tyres a few years in the shed to harden them off a bit, seemed to get a few more thousand miles out of them that way

This I don't agree with at all as tyres lose there ability to grip the road as they harden with age. The tyre on my pegaso was around 6 years old when I eventually got it back on the road. It was OK in the dry if a little vague. But when I was caught out in the rain it was just outright dangerous.   

I don't recommend keeping old tyres even if they look OK
It was broken down for HOW long!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »
I was running on a sidecar so had 'stabaliers' but I do find it varies according to who made the tyre, and when, some are so grip focused that for instance my dads bmw ran Conti Tour tyres, it wore the last one out in 3k miles, previously they had lasted 7k + per tyre  dad complained to Continental tyres and was told the market demanded more grip, there was nothing wrong with the tyres before and 3k from a rear tyre makes a bike prohibitive to use.
I know what you mean about old tyres being sometimes very dodgy to ride on, my Suziki Gs125 was a 1982 bike, and when I first had it had her original bridgestone tyres, probably still with 90% of the original air, they were truly horrid in the wet but as a poor student I had to keep using them and the bike needed carefull handling being on 20 year old tyres. Drum brakes both ends were no help. I eventually saved up and bought a complete front end off a disk braked bike and grafted that on.
 The seat of your pants will soon tell you if the tyre is too old to be much good even in the dry if you know that feeling, or just dig a thumb nail into the rubber, the feel tells a lot. Proper storage of tyres makes a major difference to their shelf life.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »

I  like to keep part worn sm, mk11 tyres a few years in the shed to harden them off a bit, seemed to get a few more thousand miles out of them that way

This I don't agree with at all as tyres lose there ability to grip the road as they harden with age. The tyre on my pegaso was around 6 years old when I eventually got it back on the road. It was OK in the dry if a little vague. But when I was caught out in the rain it was just outright dangerous.   

I don't recommend keeping old tyres even if they look OK
It was broken down for HOW long!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Far too long to remember. But when I'm busy I don't know were the time goes. It could be anywhere between 5or10 years  ???
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »
I was running on a sidecar so had 'stabaliers' but I do find it varies according to who made the tyre, and when, some are so grip focused that for instance my dads bmw ran Conti Tour tyres, it wore the last one out in 3k miles, previously they had lasted 7k + per tyre  dad complained to Continental tyres and was told the market demanded more grip, there was nothing wrong with the tyres before and 3k from a rear tyre makes a bike prohibitive to use.
I know what you mean about old tyres being sometimes very dodgy to ride on, my Suziki Gs125 was a 1982 bike, and when I first had it had her original bridgestone tyres, probably still with 90% of the original air, they were truly horrid in the wet but as a poor student I had to keep using them and the bike needed carefull handling being on 20 year old tyres. Drum brakes both ends were no help. I eventually saved up and bought a complete front end off a disk braked bike and grafted that on.
 The seat of your pants will soon tell you if the tyre is too old to be much good even in the dry if you know that feeling, or just dig a thumb nail into the rubber, the feel tells a lot. Proper storage of tyres makes a major difference to their shelf life.

The super sticky tyre on my Guzzi only lasts about 2500miles on the rear and is totally crap in the rain it doesn't make a very good touring tyre
My GS125 had its original tyres on it when I bought it But I soon replaced them after running into the back of brand new Mazda RX8
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal