Author Topic: Bike lifts and strange stands  (Read 1211 times)

FatFreddy

Bike lifts and strange stands
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:57:42 PM »
Right, that's it. I've had enough. I've ruined a another pair of jeans about the knees and me back's killing me. Can anyone please recommend one of them amazing bike lifts you see in proper motorbike repair shops and in some posh garages. I've seen a few on ebay and most of them state that they're for bikes with centrestands, and none of my bikes have centrestands! What's the best budget buy?

Also, two of my bikes are in need of full fork removal for new seals, and i've got hold of a headstock stand and rear paddock stand. The rear stand i've got sussed, but the front head stand has got me confused/worried. Has anyone used the Biketek front head stand? (see pic below) You see, the vertical section of the stand that locates and sits under the headstock by means of a large pin, pivots on two arms and can freely move through 180 degrees. But it does not lock in the vertical position. Will it magically stay in the vertical position when all is in situ or am i missing some bits? Should i of paid more attention during physics lessons or what? Thought i'd better check before eight grands worth of bike gets balanced on it!

Cheers,
And happy easter!

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:Bike lifts and strange stands
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:34:52 AM »
Hi Fred,

I bought one of those that  lifts, (the Americana 2) http://www.bikelifts.co.uk/  the bike from under the frame, only problem the exhaust gets in the way, I sorted that by making a wooden cut out on top, Still means you're working low down.

If you have the money and the space get a full lift table , you've seen american chopper, my mate has one, it's great, your ride on to it, jack it up with a handle (after getting off - you never know who's reading).. and work on the bike standing up, great for oil changes.

My advice, Full table, I wouldn't trust anything that lifts a 1/4 tonne in one point, especially if you work on your own.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal