Author Topic: Knackered splines  (Read 737 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Knackered splines
« on: July 24, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
My BMW K75 has been feeling a bit lumpy at the back under acceleration so I dismantled the final drive to assess the condition of splines.   It's a bit of a weak point on these bikes so the splines need re greasing every few yards.
Anyway, the splines are well worn and something needs doing about it.
My plan is to get a replacement male and female splines and get them welded on by the guy who did my crankcase.
Is there anyone one the forum who knows about where to get replacement splines from? 
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Knackered splines
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:38:17 PM »
Cheers John, I've seen that already.   I'm trying to avoid that sort of expenditure.

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
I have the phone for Roger a superb engineer in Huddersfield. He is a Beemer man and does a lot of work reclaiming knackered parts by having them built up with weld and re machined. PM me if you want his dets.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll see what he suggests.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
When I ran a bmw I found Bemw in Derbyshire very competative on prices and again they build parts up with weld and reclaim etc, best known for their Chineese bmw /ww2 clone inports. I had 2 reconditioned gearboxes off them and a recon bottom end and everything functioned very well and was about half the motorworks or moto bins prices, sadly that was still more than I could run a cb500/4 for and the Honda beat the Bmws on charachter and fuel economy so the Bmw's found themselfs retired though they are still sat in the shed, the 1000cc twin plugged boxer with leading link forks and sidecar was indeed an awesome toy and could easily do massive distances in one go without wearing the rider out. I have a decent spare wheel that is slightly wrong splines for my R80 or R90 bevels somewhere in the shed, a scrapyard find that didn't work out - looks identical to my R80 wheels but slightly tighter splines - might be off one of the other models, but wont fit any of the 80, 90 or 100 bevels. I can dig it out if of interest.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
The final drive splines are (roughly)  20 dia.  I would need to replace them as a pair otherwise mixing old with new will cause further wear in the future.   But thanks anyway,  nice to know you're worrying about me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal