Author Topic: CB550 Rims  (Read 981 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
CB550 Rims
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »
Can anyone tell me the best value rims (with sizes) to buy in the UK for a CB550 that look something like the originals? I'm restoring the bike but I've got limited funds and not wanting to spend a fortune.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 Rims
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »
Rechroming is 100-120 quid and you can get modern 'scripted' DID rims for not much more that. I don't suppose Devon Rims or Central Wheels in Brum  will be much cheaper, so if you can bear the scripting then fit the DID's & at least you could describe it as having DID rims.

I think your'e sized needed are 1.85 x 19" 40 hole and rear is 1.85B x 18" 40 hole ... someone please chip in though if I am wrong (original front is a CB750 part no, rear is a CB450K0 part no. That's assuming the same as a CB500/4

Check the rear drum for cracking .. if it's cracked then the likes of DK would be best for a complete wheel with a decent original DID rim.
Just my two penneth worth ... & I am biased 'cos being the anorak that I am I hate the modern side scripted rims but functionally and chrome wise they are absolutely fine.

Just noticed Central wheels do a ' Standard Chrome' rim ... not sure how good they are though.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/price_lists/classic_price_list.pdf

I know the 550 has a 1.85 x18" 40 hole rear rim  not covered by the below but see what I mean about the disparity in prices between us and Japan. DID rims are really cheap in Japan ...bit of a rip off here compared with the price over there.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:57:07 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
Problem on price lies within transporting (bulky even though not particularly heavy) and Import duties and V.A.T. on top of all that!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:46:16 AM »
Problem on price lies within transporting (bulky even though not particularly heavy) and Import duties and V.A.T. on top of all that!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Basic items are still much cheaper than here though ... Some of Yamiya's Genuine Parts are much cheaper than you can get elsewhere (genuine Honda bearings for example). It was merely an illustration .... I wasn't really suggesting import them ... unless you have a Japanese mule that can fetch them over  ;) ;) Not sure how much David at Saisei can bring them in for ..or if he still offers the service. Academic anyway really  because they don't sell the 500/550 size rear rim.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:20:34 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »
DS does 3 grades of rim and is about the cheapest along with spoke kits

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »

He recommended on here once though that the cheapest rims he stocks  take quite a bit of truing up though Bryan and recommended DID if you can afford it.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 06:01:27 PM »

He recommended on here once though that the cheapest rims he stocks  take quite a bit of truing up though Bryan and recommended DID if you can afford it.

Sliver only does DID for the 550. The cheap ones are only for the 400  ;) His spokes are cheap but, I have broke a few of them when lacing up and a couple let go on a test ride. Stainless steel spokes are about £70 a set and worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:06:16 PM by Trigger »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »

Sliver only does DID for the 550. The cheap ones are only for the 400  ;) His spokes are cheap but, I have broke a few of them when lacing up and a couple let go on a test ride. Stainless steel spokes are about £70 a set and worth it in the end.

Any recommendations for after treatment of spokes after re-zinc plating Graham?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »
Yer, fit SS ones  :) :)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
Yer, fit SS ones  :) :)

Ok ..knew I shouldn't have asked:  :(

Here is my own 'research' FWIW.

Standard is ASTM B633 The spec states "All electroplated parts 1200 MPa or higher shall be baked at 190 °C for 3 hours or more within 4 hours after electroplating'

1) Baking times should start when the center of the furnace load reaches temperature, not when the furnace does.

2) Embrittlement can be created during service if the parts experience a galvanic couple or electrolysis.

3) No real evidence of over baking (related to time at the proper temperature) causing embrittlement.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:49:09 PM »
I have fitted SS for years now, can't be dealing with spokes going brittle and breaking, once one snaps, then it causes a chain reaction and other will follow.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal