Author Topic: Sheet metal work  (Read 511 times)

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Sheet metal work
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
Hi,

When thinking about freeing up "that triangle" of my cafe racer / brat - & more specifically, locating the battery - I'm looking into the idea of "hiding" the battery under the tank (securing it to the frame). It will need a bit of chopping & fabrication (& careful isolation / insulation from the tank of course) but can't see why it shouldn't work (???).

Taking it that it's a realistic idea to investigate further, is there anyone out there (around the Leeds / surrounding area) who just loves doing this kind of sheet metal work or knows someone who does?

Cheers.

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Sheet metal work
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »
I doubt there is enough room under the tank unless you are modifying it, most people opt too put it in a seat hump or high up under the seat. Using a modern ni-cad type battery.

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
It's modification to the tank that I'm looking at (think inverted boxing). It will reduce the capacity of the tank but the bike's not going to be any sort of long distance cruiser so mileage isn't an issue. The seat is going to be a brat style so there'll be no hump to hide it under. I'll be considering the Antigravity type of battery (& possibly...but not definitely, as I've a feeling it could very easily bite me.......kick only & so having an even smaller battery to squirrel away somewhere).

It's a sheet metal / welding magician that I'm trying to track down!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »
If you can make a cardboard template and post it to a bloke in Caerphilly I know (good, quick and cheap) he will do you a nice one in stainless.   I saw the tool tray he did for his Vincent.
PM me if you're interested.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
Thx Mike but I'd be more comfortable being able to discuss / pass the whole job on in person (don't trust my cardboard manipulation or measuring for one :). Thx for the offer tho!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal