Author Topic: First start-up after rebuild  (Read 651 times)

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
First start-up after rebuild
« on: July 29, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Hi everyone!

So I'm nearing the point of being ready to start her up again after a full teardown (thanks for all your help in getting me here by the way). Before I do I was wondering if it is worth while taking the rocker cover off and pouring oil in the tray. I did coat the rockers and bearings with assembly grease but it has sat for a couple of months since the assembly. I also gave it a few pumps with the kick starter to see if oil flowed to the top (i think it does but not 100% sure).

Otherwise I'm looking for general tips for first start up. I have put in wear in oil and will be changing it afterwards. What is the usual ring seating procedure and anything else I should be mindful of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: First start-up after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »
don't disturb the top end,

take the plugs out and either using the kickstart,and/or starter spin the motor over till the oil light goes out,

you can do this several times to make sure the oil is circulating,

it should take a couple of seconds for the oil light to come on again,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »
Yes +1 on John's advice. I just turned it over on the starter until the pressure was up. Need good battery and disable the spark so it doesn't fire though.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
If you want to be certain the cam is getting oil remove the end caps and then the steel brackets the caps bolt to, spin the engine and oil shoul come out of the bolt holes. This is why ther is a soft sealing washer between the steel bracket and the cam cover

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
And always be very careful when re tightening those end bolts as the thread is not long and oh so easy to strip. (1975 flashback)
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline sgd37

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
So after realising that I didn't put enough oil in (my dipstick seems to be lying to me) I managed to get the oil to come out of the bolt holes, thanks Bryan for the tip. Hopefully I didn't do any damage cranking it without oil pumping.

with luck I will be able to fire her up in the coming days. Does anyone have any tips for break in procedure?

Also out of curiosity how do the valves get oil on these engines?

Thanks again everyone

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:45:04 PM »
So after realising that I didn't put enough oil in (my dipstick seems to be lying to me) I managed to get the oil to come out of the bolt holes, thanks Bryan for the tip. Hopefully I didn't do any damage cranking it without oil pumping.

with luck I will be able to fire her up in the coming days. Does anyone have any tips for break in procedure?

Also out of curiosity how do the valves get oil on these engines?

Thanks again everyone

plenty of oil splashing in the rocker area,
as for running in,secret is don't slog it,rev a bit,but not much load,to bed the rings in accelerate briskly to 5-6000,then stut the throttle,
this will bed them in nicely,as for the rest,just use ,but don't thrash or slog
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal