Author Topic: Fork seal - damper bolt removal?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
Fork seal - damper bolt removal?
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »
Hi folks - seeing some conflicting information on this question. I need to change fork seals on my CB750F1. I am expecting to drain the forks, removal wheel and accoutrements, mudguard, spring etc. Then dust cap and circlip, then work the lower fork leg off the stanchion. one at a time of course with a jack under the front of the engine.

My question is, do I need to loosen or even remove the bolt which holds the damper in the lower fork leg (the bolt that goes direct up into the lower fork leg)? I don't really see how loosening it affects the lower fork leg's ability to be removed, yet I see some disassembly videos recommend this.

any thoughts?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Fork seal - damper bolt removal?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »
Yes you do, as that Allen bolt is what holds the lower leg to the damper, you need to remove it completely, then the lower leg will drop off so you can replace the seal. Use genuine Honda seals or you'll be doing the job again soon!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
You also need to detach the mudguard and caliper to get the leg off, don't disturb the fluid pipe on the caliper, just undo the two large bolts joining the caliper halves together.

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
Good advice, thanks. Can I not remove the old seal by removing the circlip and working the lower leg up and down in situ until it pops out? Then I can remove the entire assembly from the yoke, whip the old seal off from the top and slide the new one down the stanchion on and tap into place using a punch and the old seal? Then I can replace the circlip and put the whole leg back into the yoke?
This would only work the bottom of the stanchion can come up far enough to push the old seal out?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Probably not, the seals are generally quite tight in the lower leg. It is far quicker and easier in the long run to separate the lower leg from the stanchion (chromed part) and gently lever the old seal out of the lower leg. DO NOT use a screwdriver or sharp object, if the scratch the soft alloy of the area the seal fits in it will almost certainly leak, use something blunt like a bicycle tyre lever, even the handle of an old fork or spoon! Another way some people have used is a couple of self tapping screws in the old seal from the top, then pull on them with mole grips.

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »
ok I'll have a go and report back

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
ok I'll have a go and report back

Can't remember which Honda forks but on some of them you loosen that hex head screw and the whole thing it screws into moves...so I shove a wooden dowel down the leg and push down hard on it so that the friction stops the assembly from turning. I seem to remember a broom handle but that's maybe too large dia., depending on the forks concerned.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
That's F1 forks you're thinking of Ash, easiest way is to leave the spring in under tension, then remove the Allen bolt with an air or electric impact wrench. Always worked for me!

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
I use a ratchet strap to put some tension on the leg.
Never had any problems getting the bolt out doing it this way  :)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
Early 750 forks had bushes so you could take the circlip out and work the seal out but later ones like yours don't have the bushes so the slider has to come off, workshop way of undoing the allen bolt is a windy gun and long 3/8 drive allen key but putting the spring under tension usually works as well.

N.B

You need a long series allen key

BE CAREFULL removing the old seal as if you scratch/gouge the inside of the leg where the outer of the seal fits it will forever leak

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »
I had a problem with that bolt on my F1, it just kept turning on me, so I removed the top bolt put a socket in and replaced the bolt, it still laughed at me. So in the end I had to put a bigger (longer) socket under the top bolt, put the fork leg in the vice and jammed the top nut against the wall, tightened the vice, gave the bolt a few sharp taps and hey presto out it came. So if you do use the broom handle method you may have to vary the length.

Cheers

Denis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
I now use an impact driver with a hex bit. So far has never let me down, (need some wood to touch).

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
Got it - broom handles are popular. I don't have an impact gun, just the old fashioned one which requires physical violence. I'm sure I'll understand when the fork is apart but do I take that the broom handle goes down the stanchion?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 12:57:50 PM »
Yes, with the spring removed.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal