Author Topic: CB750 Sandcast NOS Tank.Where did this come from ?IS it really wort that price?  (Read 803 times)

Offline MeilakJ

• SOHC Member
  • Life is what you make it!!
    • View Profile
Has any body seen this at Yamiya ?

Is it also the very early smaller tank one? or just a wrinkle tank?

http://www.yamiya750.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=246_251_182_80&products_id=3741&language=en

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Ha ha classic. £4k for a bloody tank...

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
I still believe that the wrinkle tank was a manufacture defect. I have seen original sandcasts with out a wrinkle tank, and Honda have never admitted how many of these tanks were fitted  ;)

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
I have never seen two identical ribbled tanks, so has to be a manufacturing fault.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
I know for a fact that my UK  10/69 diecast never came with a wrinkle tank from New  but nobody ever believes me
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
 ;) strange as it seems i have two wrinkle tanks  on two of my 1970 cb750's and i dont think these would have been changed as both bikes was pretty much unmolested  ::) and as stated earlier it was part of the manufactering process at the time and was superceeded . like the die-cast process  8)  just my take on it

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
So, as I remember about 8000 k0 have been produced. The first 1500 were fitted with a wrinkle tank... well that I have been reading somewhere.
The wrinkle in the tank was not intended but due to the fact that the pressing of the lower steel tank sheet actualy went to fast. And therefore startet wrinkling.
Since there was so much demand Honda didn't fix this right away. Since you could only notice it with the tanklid open... who cares. When the press was adjusted the new tanks without wrinkles were immediatly used. But since there were still wrinkle tanks lying around and demands remained high newer bikes could still be fitted with wrinkle tanks thought for spareparts.

The more I learn about what should be 'original' the more I find out there are so many differences (small ones).
I guess no one at Honda said to the management (for example):
 ' Hey listen; we cannot ship this bike like this! The wrinkle tanks should not be fitted on frames with a serial number higher than (insert desired serial number here)!'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal