Author Topic: valve lash  (Read 2695 times)

pampadori

valve lash
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »
i have a 72 cb750 with a yoshimura cam.  the climer book says adjust lash to .002\" on the intake and .003\" on the exhaust.  the yoshimura tag recommended .006\" for all valves.  motor is ticky as hell.  so i set them to .002 and .003.  what do you guys run on clearances?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re:valve lash
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:50:20 AM »
I have never run any of my SOHC Hondas on anything but the factory settings of 2 thou intake and 3 thou exhaust.

But then I've never had a hot cam either.  There must be a reason that Yoshi recommend wider gaps?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

pampadori

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:42:36 PM »
well i rode the bike again yesterday.  its still awfully loud.  are these motors naturally noisey? i adjust the timing chain while i was doing the valves.  maybe i didn't get that part right, i'll try doing it again and see if it gets a little quieter.  or maybe its the forged pistons i'm hearing.  runs good, but the noise is geting old.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:02 PM »
As Steve says, as per the manual, but if you have a yoshie, with different lift, you would be bet to do as they advise.

My F1 is very noisy, and I suspect camchain it's that sort a rattle, check your tension, it seems I have to do mine every week.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline lordmoonpie

• If he's not in action, he's in traction...
    • View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Yup you better use the Yoshi lash values for settnig as the longer lift and duration will mean lots of valve train stress on standard settings which could lead to failure somewhere in the system eventually. My megacycle race cam is set at 5 thou inlet and exhaust - it's fairly standard to increase the clearances for hairy cam lobes!
Beware of those who fall at your feet - they may be reaching for the corner of the rug...

Offline Asimohonda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »
:) I run a Yoshimura Camshaft in my CB750 F1 along with RC Engineering valves & springs.The settings I run at are 006 thou on all valves as per Yoshimura,s advice Don,t run the bike on standard Honda cam settings Always use the Yoshi cam settings,the noise you discribe & complain of sounds like cam chain rattle not valve noise check that first!regards Asimo :)
Onwards And Upwards Anyway But Backwards!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal