Author Topic: opinions please standard / new  (Read 807 times)

Offline rough head

• View Profile
opinions please standard / new
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »
Just to see what the general opinion is on keeping the bike 100 % original even if a little bit tatty, my rear mudguard is shot and needs replacing but regarding rear light bracket etc its not perfect but also not totally scruffy ,  i dont know whether to get it blasted and powder coated with a few other bits or touch it in, am definitely keeping tank and panels original, although not perfect are in good order for the year, cheers

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: opinions please standard / new
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:43:57 PM »
My opinion..
If your gonna use it used is good and when you need any parts decent 2nd hand stuff can bolt straight on...
If you want a minter and a show bike then really there is only one way...via the wallet
I like good used genuine bikes hard to find but easier to live with.......just my opinion

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
Whilst there are many here who ride their bikes in all weathers and as long as it’s reliable, no worries, many also like their bike to also be a looker.
Age related patina often adds to the history of the bike. It is getting old like many of us. But it sounds like the mudguard detracts/dominates and is definitely not patina. Personally I would replace it (maybe with a good used one)and tidy up the back end. Depends on your priorities and your pockets.
My 500 that I’ve had for nearly 15 years has been through a few wars and is a bit of a mish mash, but sought of looks original and I love it.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
On my cb500 I found the original mudguard was long gone, what replaced it was probably a cb400 item, chrome bad so the previous owner had painted it black, probably powdercoat. It eventually got to the point that it was clearly past it, I faced a dilemma, replace with original chrome, plenty of reasonable ones out there rejected by restorer with minor flaws, then luck threw up a fiberglass pattern one, fits the standard kit regards lighting and it's maintenance free. Having never really had one with the original chrome guard fitted I don't miss the chrome. Back when I wanted a chrome original item I simply couldn't find one, in terms of easy to live with the fiberglass item is great, but for some odd reason I wouldn't ever have one on the front. I avoid too much modification as a rule, much as Woodside says, a genuine good used bike is hard to find but easier to live with. Mint condition bikes are nice but not for me, lots of new parts does seem to inevitably moves a bike to being a minter and that's likely to reflect on how it's used. I'd paint or powdercoat the light bracket if it's deteriorating and look for a decent used guard, even if that takes a while and the mudguard needs patching to keep it going til then.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline rough head

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Ok guys thanks for the opinions, have been searching for a guard for at least a year missed out on a fibreglass one on ebay so will have to bite the bullet and buy a new pattern one, and powder coat the light bracket. A minter isnt for me but if i can keep it from going down hill and maybe slightly improve it thats good. I get someone stop me or come over at least every other ride out to have a look and a chat about it so its not a bad un.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
How about this one.  Reasonably priced and new.   Put it on your Christmas list, it's more exciting than a pair of socks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUDGUARD-Rear-Brand-New-for-Honda-CB400F-Super-Sport-CB400-FOUR-Chrome-/292188391535?hash=item4407c9086f:g:uIEAAOSwTvpZb0v7

Make sure it's for the British model, not the US model as the holes differ.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »
The one listed on ebay isn't a UK rear guard, it doesn't have the raised portion where the number plate bracket is mounted. You would need a US type number plate bracket to use it. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »
Im sure i have a rear guard here...
Its pretty shot under the seat but when on the rear section thays visable is good..
I cut all the rot out and was going to do some kind of bodge/repair but a better one turned up....
If you want a pic give me a day or so.......may do a turn

Offline rough head

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
Got one ordered it came today early now fitted all good cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal