Author Topic: Clutch snatching  (Read 406 times)

Offline saltylimey

• View Profile
Clutch snatching
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Relative newbie here - sorry! I've had a scan of previous threads but not sure any is exactly what I'm experiencing.

I acquired a '76 550 earlier in the year and spent some time "doing her up". She had at least 44k known miles on her at the time and I've put on another 500 since then. Our greatest journey together (!) was this bank holiday when I decided it would be a fun idea to ride down from Bath to Plymouth to surprise my mother. And I did.

No issues on the way down. However, being a bank holiday and being Devon there was a lot of stop-start traffic on the way back. I noticed the clutch was starting to do something funky: it seemed the biting point was becoming quite "far out" on the release (sorry if that is not the right jargon) and "snatchy". So, it would start to bite OK on gentle release but would reach a point when all of a sudden it would engage fully and the bike would lurch forward. Didn't matter how gentle or gradual the release, it would still snatch towards the end.

And then I realised it was doing it through all gear changes but was obviously more noticeable at a standstill i.e. changing from neutral to first.

I'm happy to go through all the standard diagnostics for clutch issues but mainly wondered whether this was a "classic symptom" of something specific. The only thing I have had chance to do so far (and this was road-side at the time) was twicker the distal cable adjuster to reduce the free-play a bit. Didn't make any difference to the issue.

Would be grateful for anyone's thoughts. Thank you,

Christian

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch snatching
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, what oil are you using ?

Offline saltylimey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 08:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Trigger. It's 10/40 - can't remember the brand and can't have a look as working away currently.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 08:07:54 PM »
Oil gets thinner as it heats up and can cause clutch problems. Fully synthetic oil is no good in these old girls. Has it gone back to normal now ? As in from a cold start.

Offline saltylimey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
Ah I didn't know that. Thank you - and excuse my ignorance. I can't answer whether it's gone back to normal as I haven't ridden it since I arrived back on Monday. To be honest, I was so stiff and sore having spent 4 hours atop my homemade seat that I wasn't so inclined to get back on her for a day or two!  ;D

I will take her for a spin tomorrow when I get back and see if starting from cold makes a difference. Thank you again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal