Author Topic: CB350F clutch knocking sound  (Read 674 times)

Offline Huaralo

• View Profile
CB350F clutch knocking sound
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »
Hi,
I've bought a 350F and I've got a really noisy clutch.

It's really noticeable when the engine is cold and running on low rpm.

When I take the dipstick off the engine, the noise turns more into a metallic sound.
Here's a video of that: https://vid.me/6AFj1

When I pull the clutch the type of sound changes a bit, the more metallic sound goes away. Sort of changes pitch.
It didn't really seem as noticeable on the video, but here's another of that: https://vid.me/sJbIG

Do I just let it pretend to be a dry clutch or is there something I can/should do about it?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB350F clutch knocking sound
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
Give the engine a full service, oil and filter, plugs, points, ign timing, tappets, basically make sure everything is set as it should be, then balance the carbs. If you don't know how to balance carbs, find a bike mechanic who can do it for you. Most clutch chatter/rattle will be sorted by this. If it still sounds bad, the primary chain may be worn badly.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Huaralo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
Always been more of a computer guy, and I'm a bit lost with the bike. I found the workshop manual online and did some rebuilding with a friend who knows more about engines.

I've recently had the the head and cylinder off the bike. I installed some new piston rings on the bike as I had a broken oil ring in one cylinder. Also honed the cylinders. I took the head to a machinist since it was leaking really bad. He had to machine the valves and the seats to get it to seal good. I set the valve clearances to the workshop specs. Threw some new Honda points and condensers, gapped and set the timing. New D8EA plugs, gapped. I also synced the carbs as close as I could get them. New 20w50 oil and filter.

I loaned a stethoscope from work to locate the noise, and the sound is coming from the clutch. Both the cam chain and primary chain were pretty quiet. The clutch sound goes away when you rev the bike a bit. It's only present at idle.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
these bikes when they have a few miles on them will have a clutch basket rattle, properly balanced carbs will help to eliminate some of the backlash and raising the idle by another 100rpm can also help, but to be honest it does not sound to noisy i could hear the tappets above the exhaust more.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
Ideally it should be running 10w40 oil, but it probably isn't run in properly to the new rings, try giving it a full service again when it's done 1000 miles, especially tappets and ign timing, then balance the carbs again.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Huaralo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »
Thanks. My owner's manual recommends 20w50. I'll report back after I run it in and do the serviice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal