Author Topic: Front wheel bearings removal  (Read 2808 times)

FatFreddy

Front wheel bearings removal
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:45:50 PM »
Has any one here managed to remove the bearings from a CB750 front wheel WITHOUT the use of the Honda front wheel retainer wrench (part number 07910-3230101)? The bike in question is a CB750F2, but i'm sure the same retainer is used in most K and F models.

I've been in touch with David Silver Spares and the part is no longer available in this solar system.

I've tried tapping the retainer round with hammer and screwdriver/chisel, but i'm starting to ruin it, and don't want to completely butcher the retainer and render the use of a wrench useless (see pic below). Please help! I need to get this bike on the road asap.

Cheers,

Post edited by: FatFreddy, at: 2007/05/04 16:47

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:Front wheel bearings removal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:31:56 PM »
Hi David, I answered your other wheel post, before seeing this one, the retainer I chopped out was on the spoked wheel, I've yet to try it on the comstar wheels
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:22:46 PM »
If your wheel is the same as the K's and F1 the alloy retaining ring has been caulked, a punch has been used on the circumference of the ring to stop it coming loose. These should be drilled out otherwise you will ruin the thread, what I did next was to get some flatbar, drilled two holes in the same distance apart as the slots in the ring. I then put two bolts through the holes tightened up two nuts on the other side, files flats into the bolt ends to fit the slots in the retainer ring. Hey presto a genuine Hondaish tool !
Looking at your photo you will have to first remove the wheel spindle, looking at the F2 manual it should just push out.
Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

FatFreddy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 02:33:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip-off spitfire. I'm off down the DIY department at Freddy Mansions to rumage through my collection of left-over bits of metal. I knew they'll come in handy one day!

Meanwhile i'll be pouring scorn over that spindle. The spacer that's sitting on top of the retainer is well seized on the spindle, and so i can't remove the little bugger. Looks like it hasn't been touched since the bike left the factory in 1978. That'll be 29 years. I've given it a generous spraying of 'plus gas' last thing yesterday and left it to soak overnight. If it wont budge now, i'll have to get the blowtorch out and it'll be goodnight vienna for that rubber dust seal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal