Author Topic: Cb550k3 Headlight/kill switch  (Read 534 times)

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Cb550k3 Headlight/kill switch
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »
Hi
Does anyone have a CB550 headlight/kill switch for ?
My bike is a US import which doesn't have a headlight switch and I find the headlamp on all the time infuriating.
I only seem to be able to buy a plastic replacement.

Many thanks
Dave

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Cb550k3 Headlight/kill switch
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
Yes, that wiring on the US models was mad. No wonder the yanks complain so much about the charging system. Gadgets like the good for nothing marker lights that consume 16 Watts nonetheless, make things even worse. You could do something clever with the neutral light that activates a 'falling relay' as we call it. What is the proper term for a 'falling relay' btw?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:05:26 PM by deltarider »

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
Why is having the headlamp on infuriating? At least you can be seen. If it's a power problem then replace your stop/tail and indicators with LED's (inc LED relay) and get a Phillips eco H4 for your headlamp.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 03:01:25 PM »
Why is having the headlamp on infuriating? At least you can be seen.
In your garage, you mean? When you do repairs? Realise that as soon as you turn the ignition key to ON, these models have the headlight on, before it is even started! Only during the start itself, the headlamp is temporarily off. Not nice when you need to do maintenance/repair with the current on. You'd have to remove the headlamp fuse everytime. Reminds me of my brother's Saab that has the same stupid arrangement next to another stupidity: you can't remove the ignition key unless you've pulled the handbrake. Why not have people themself decide when the headlamp should be on? At traffic lights that last very long, one could switch to 'P' the pilot light. That makes sense.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:05:33 PM by deltarider »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:24:36 PM »
Why is having the headlamp on infuriating? At least you can be seen.
In your garage, you mean? When you do repairs? Realise that as soon as you turn the ignition key to ON, these models have the headlight on, before it is even started! Only during the start itself, the headlamp is temporarily off. Not nice when you need to do maintenance/repair with the current on. You'd have to remove the headlamp fuse everytime. Reminds me of my brother's Saab that has the same stupid arrangement next to another stupidity: you can't remove the ignition key unless you've pulled the handbrake. Why not have people themself decide when the headlamp should be on? At traffic lights that last very long, one could switch to 'P' the pilot light. That makes sense.
U.S. spec models don't have a "P" position, just high or low beam!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »
U.S. spec models don't have a "P" position, just high or low beam!
I know, but that can be helped. At night those US sealed beam units are next to useless anyway and quite some riders change them for a good CibiƩ, Bosch or Hella reflector in combination with a H4. I changed the Ba9s 4 Watts pilot lamp (that came standard) for a dito 21 Watts bulb (halogen) and I use that as a DRL (switched by 'P'.)

Offline davidrsmith

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
Hi
Sorry I should have been a bit more specific,  I did mean having the headlamp come on all the time when turning the ignition on whilst its been in my garage doinga rebuild.
The o
Cb550k3 I had in the 70's had the headlamp switch, most useful.

Just as an aside has anyone ever come across a cb550k3 reg number TDG200R, it was the one I used to own, I would like to try and get the number back if it still not around.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal