Author Topic: total ignition failure, help!  (Read 2876 times)

sooper550

total ignition failure, help!
« on: June 04, 2007, 11:48:30 PM »
I recently purchased a 78 550k. I am trying unsucsesfully to get this thing on the road. I rebuilt the carbs and im getting gas. however i get no spark at all. I changed the plugs to some brand new ngk's. I get no spark on any cylinder. fuses are good. new battery. points look ok. just bought a new rectifier/regulator and still...NO SPARK! im goin crazy over this thing.
   I know a lot about cars, but this little bike is a mystery to me. please help!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re:total ignition failure, help!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
Honda SOHC ignition systems are really simple in design and easy to fault find if you go about it in the correct way. If you know about cars, then you'll probably be fine (unless of course they are electronic and computer controlled!)

Start with the fact there is no spark on any of the four cylinders. This means the plugs, caps, leads, coils and points are OK as any fault here would cause only two plugs to fail. These bikes use the \"wasted spark\" system, so there are two coils and points and cylinders 1+4 and 2+3 fire together. Luckily (for Honda) on one of these cylinders is on the compression stroke at the time. This saves having four sets of everything (or a distributor).

The fault must be either the 12V feed to the points, or the earth connection from the points plate to the engine.  Check that you have 12V on the points (I use an old headlamp bulb soldered onto two lengths of wire). As the points open, the lamp should light up. If not, check back along the wiring loom for the feed (usually a black wire).

If the points aren't opening at all it will have the same effect (never seen that on both sets of points though)

Post back

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »
PS.

Where are you?

We may be able to find someone local who would help you out.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

sooper550

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:58:24 AM »
Thanks a lot for your post about faulting the ignition system. it helped me a lot. i followed the 12v feed from the points to the stator.
    i got the cover off (finally) and found that some of the wires were completely coroded ( the 3 that go to the rectifier). i cleaned it up the best i could and i plan on soldering the wires back on and taping it up. after that i assume the circuit should be good... what do you think?
   After i get this silly thing fired up ill finish the body work and post a pic. This old 550 is gonna be a bad ass street fighting cafe real soon. Oh yeah im in the good 'ol midwest... Indianna. not a lot of cafe bikes rollin round here. mostly noisy, slow, vtwin oil eaters... Thanks again!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:47:08 PM »
The three (yellow) wires that come out of the alternator should measure about 24V (each) before going into the rectifier. Rectifier o/p goes into regulator which regulates the field coil input to the alternator, thus maintaining 14V (ish) charging to the battery (at >2000rpm)

You may feel more at home on www.sohc4.net as most of the members there are in the US and there will probably be someone close by.

All the help I can offer from the UK I'm afraid.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal