Author Topic: Cb550 dual disk  (Read 1252 times)

Offline firet49

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Cb550 dual disk
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
I have the parts for a dual disk conversion for my cb550f just wanted some opinions from those who have or have not done it.
Is it an easy conversion?
Is it worthwhile?
What all do I need apart from the calipers, disks and a master cylinder?
Does anybody have any pics and maybe a good how to.
Thanks T.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cb550 dual disk
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
I have a 500,and fitted twin discs,
well worth it ,the front now stops !!

just ensure your right leg has the mounting bosses,they will need  tidying up to accept the caliper mount,

it is a mirror image of the LH side,
if you obtain a double lenth banjo bolt for the tree ,it will save any hassle with stoplight switch,also fit new seals to both calipers ,so both
work perfectly ,
use a Goldwing GL1000/1100 master cylinder from David Silver ,this is for twin calipers,and look original ,

all thats needed is careful assembly,the LH side will be ok,but the RH side will need careful setting up,make sure the pivot is free,,and the pads are as close to parallel to the disc as possible ,.

the work is in the detail,its worth it !!

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
You also need longer HT bolts and a modified speedo drive, if using the early Goldwing master with the brake light switch you can plumb the extra hose into the hydraulic brake light switch hole. If you PM me your email adress i can send you a word doc with instructions and pictures of the required speedo cable DO NOT LISTEN TO THE US SITE the drive you need IS NOT an early 500 one!

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
As bryanj says i dual disc converted my 500k3 in the late 90s i modified the speedo drive by turning some material off in my lathe, if you have all the parts ready it really is a quick and easy job the longest parts being the turning down and bleeding of the system.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:48 PM »
Not got a dual disk setup fitted yet but its probably a matter of how hard you are prepared to pull the leaver, my cb500  was still single disk and could lock the front tyre pretty sharpish if I really grabbed it, but in the rain it needed light pressure applying 200 yards before you actually started to slow up so I tended to ride with the brake lightly applied in downpours. Two disks should dissipate the kinetic energy faster so should be better, when my cb500 sidecar goes back into service I intend to dual disk it. I'd be tempted to look for cast iron rotors if I was putting her back into daily rider use given my bmw r80/7 had dual stainless disks and had the same wet braking issue and the bmw officianados reccomend pfm cast iron disks to overcome the problem and inproved preformance, they might not look as good but they do stop better.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:18:36 AM »
Matt, way back when i fitted a single cast disc to a solo 500, i my opinion made sod all difference apart from looking crap with rust

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
Interesting Brian, I have yet to compare cast to stainless on the same bike, I got as far as buying a set for the bmw but never got around to fitting them - I wonder if I ever will, the bike got stripped down to deal with prolific rust and is probably better off broken for parts than rebuilt. To be honest I doubt I'd be using a bike reguarly in a real downpour again with any regularity which would make having nasty rusty looking disks a poor compromise as long as I do remember to trail the brake on early if I do get caught out.....
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline firet49

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:51 PM »
Thanks everyone special thanks to Bryan for the word document...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal