Author Topic: cb750 F2 engine out  (Read 644 times)

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
cb750 F2 engine out
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
what a nightmare, trying to get the engine out. Having digested most of the posts on this subject and reading manuals I tried and tried to get the engine out as instructed. I eventually had to remove the exhaust studs and she came out easy. On inspecting the studs some were just threaded bar and I'm thinking these cant be original. Anyone know how long they should be. I'm also a bit confused about the oil filter housing. When ordering a new oil filter for an F2 they only show one large o ring along with the small one for the bolt. I have the housing for the filter plus an extended housing that has vents. This too has a large o ring. This secound housing is not shown in the Haynes manual so I'm confused as to what filter I need. Any help would be appreciated.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: cb750 F2 engine out
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »
Sounds like it's got an accessory oil cooler sandwich plate that's not original fit. Some of these just had fins and others pipes to and from an oil cooler.

If you put a pic up of it someone may be able to give more details to help. Would have thought it would be a longer bolt and plate to make up the kit.

You're right in that the standard setup just requires one large and ones small o-ring.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
The F2 DOES have a sandwich plate along with a longer bolt as well and if I remember correctly both big O rings are the same

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:09:56 PM »
Bryan is correct. You need to buy the second o-ring as well as the filter kit. DSS has them, but the one behind the oil cooler ring is usually okay to re-use.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
My mistake,  I'd forgotten about that.

After that prompting I remembered they come really close with the oil filter fins almost touching when using a Yoshimura exhaust on the F2.

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Attached oil filter pics. Am I right in thinking if I was to purchase a std oil filter bolt I could disgard the sandwich plate? What issues might this have? It looks quite hideous on the engine block (boil on the end of it's nose) don't like it! I am going to strip the bike as light and as naked as possible, what do you think?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
Yes with a standard bolt you can loose the plate, it was there as a rudimentary oil coole so as long as you don't thrash the motor you should be OK

Offline Frankie 2 sheds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
Nothing gets thrashed anymore at my age. I wish it did. Thanks for that.....Frank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal