Author Topic: Kick start  (Read 428 times)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Kick start
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
Bit of advice guys; I'm rebuilding the engine of my 500 four after a complete strip down & have a bit of a problem with the kickstart assembly. When I assemble the shaft & other bits into the case it's secured with a small (about 12mm) circlip which sits in a very shallow grove only .25mm deep. So I get it assembled the jiggle the shaft about a little at which point the circlip pops off & most of the bits spring off the shaft.
Am I missing something or is it just a crap design?

It's driving me nuts HELP please

Conrad

Born again SOHC owner

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Kick start
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
Its not the best design but the circlip normally stays on as long as the groove edges are not worn and the circlip tight

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
Sorted, it was simply me not locating the circlip properly, was told I should hear a definite click when it located. Had another try & hay presto seems ok now, touch wood. 
Born again SOHC owner

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
They do pop out, so give it a few kicks to make sure before you put the sump on. I always put a little retainer on, as I have had a few pop off.  ;)

Offline corromant

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, another little query the ratchet can go on 2 ways, I presume it matters & I think I've got it on the correct way round but would like to be sure.

Thanks Conrad
Born again SOHC owner

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal