Author Topic: Life changing event  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Life changing event
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
Be careful when putting grippers on fences and gates etc. If Johnny their cuts his hands on them whilst trying to burgle you and can actually sue you for his injuries! If you place a notice on the public side warning of the danger they have no redress. This is why you no longer see barb wire on fencing. Any deterrent must be visible or notified (electric fences one example).  The country has gone mad and favours the criminal rather then the potential victim, it's the PC brigade again! A mate of mine spreads filthy old tractor grease over the top of his fence, once you get that all over your hands and clothes you'd want to get away sharpish as you've left your fingerprints in the grease, perfect for the police 👌.
Good news you are back in operation though Roy.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
Be careful when putting grippers on fences and gates etc. If Johnny their cuts his hands on them whilst trying to burgle you and can actually sue you for his injuries! If you place a notice on the public side warning of the danger they have no redress. This is why you no longer see barb wire on fencing. Any deterrent must be visible or notified (electric fences one example).  The country has gone mad and favours the criminal rather then the potential victim, it's the PC brigade again! A mate of mine spreads filthy old tractor grease over the top of his fence, once you get that all over your hands and clothes you'd want to get away sharpish as you've left your fingerprints in the grease, perfect for the police 👌.
I'll risk it. ;)
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
You can always put up a warning sign after the event.   Make sure it's a multilingual, all inclusive one. 
Don't forget the braille for visually impaired burglars.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

I don't care if little Johnny low life get's hurt, i can live with that, and if he breaks in while i am there, well use your imagination, this country may have gone mad , but i can get madder.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

I don't care if little Johnny low life get's hurt, i can live with that, and if he breaks in while i am there, well use your imagination, this country may have gone mad , but i can get madder.

Well said! 😈
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
Glad your turning it around Roy. Just shout if you need owt, there's plenty listening. Nice to hear of a insurance company going above and beyond.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »
Anyone remember the days when broken glass was cemented onto the top of walls, happy days when it was Ok then, when if some scumbag hurt himself on the wall it was his hard luck.

I was tempted to use old grease (servicing industrial gearboxes) smeared thickly on fence and wall tops, for fence preservation of course ;)
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2018, 03:46:48 PM »
Does anyone remember the company that advertised in MCN in the 90's and who used to sell a tripwire linked to a shotgun cartridge! The trigger would hit the cartridge when the trip wire was moved by Johnny Burgler when attempting to break into your garage. Nasty shock for someone!Unfortunately you can no longer buy it!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »
Without wanting to be banned from the forum, how come we all feel the same about these scumbag thieves, plus (almost) everyone else we talk to agrees with us and yet folk like Tony Martin end up in Jail when protecting his property.  Democracy eh?  Like kevski, I too can get madder!

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
I know i should have kept my Smith & Wesson model 29 when they took all the "Handguns" off me! Think Dirty Harry but Nickle plated

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
Does anyone remember the company that advertised in MCN in the 90's and who used to sell a tripwire linked to a shotgun cartridge! The trigger would hit the cartridge when the trip wire was moved by Johnny Burgler when attempting to break into your garage. Nasty shock for someone!Unfortunately you can no longer buy it!

This sort of thing. £20  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Security-Burglars-Intruders-Galvanized/dp/B0049ACMC6

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2018, 06:29:11 PM »
That's the one!I'll buy two, one for the garage and another for the biscuit tin  :)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »
If it can be fitted, then it can be removed very easy with a battery angle grinder. Easy way is don't leave tools in a van, if they are not there, then they can't be nicked. And a sticker saying: "No tools left in van over night" doesn't work  ;)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:18 PM »
If I see any of you ask me to tell you the tale about the night when I had tools nicked out of my van. Its quite funny really. Or at least I think so. A tale of instant justice.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
If it can be fitted, then it can be removed very easy with a battery angle grinder. Easy way is don't leave tools in a van, if they are not there, then they can't be nicked. And a sticker saying: "No tools left in van over night" doesn't work  ;)

Followed a tanker the other day that is used for emptying septic tanks
Notice on the back:

There are no stools left in this vehicle overnight

Brightened my day!
Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal