SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Frame Blasting Media

(1/5) > >>

Deano400:
Have done a search on the site and couldn't find anything on the best blasting media for frame, swing-arm, etc. Can anyone recommend a blasting media?

Trigger:
It depends on the state of the frame, what finish you are looking for and what sort of paint you are going to use. Most power coaters use grit to blast because it is quick and leaves a rough finish for the paint to stick to. Grit is very aggressive and if the frame is old and rusty, it can end up looking like a tea bag  ;)

hairygit:

--- Quote from: Trigger on February 03, 2018, 10:00:49 AM ---It depends on the state of the frame, what finish you are looking for and what sort of paint you are going to use. Most power coaters use grit to blast because it is quick and leaves a rough finish for the paint to stick to. Grit is very aggressive and if the frame is old and rusty, it can end up looking like a tea bag  ;)

--- End quote ---
But at least it's nice and clean, and easier to get welded repairs done, better to find out any weak spots at that stage than after painting/coating it!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Deano400:
Thanks Trigger. The frame is in good condition, bit of light rust here and there, scratches and flakes. I am going to paint not powder coat. Haven't decided on the paint yet, recommendations welcome.

hairygit:

--- Quote from: Deano400 on February 03, 2018, 10:06:14 AM ---Thanks Trigger. The frame is in good condition, bit of light rust here and there, scratches and flakes. I am going to paint not powder coat. Haven't decided on the paint yet, recommendations welcome.

--- End quote ---
If doing it yourself, black Smoothrite was always a good choice, BUT the EU decided we couldn't be trusted to use it safely, so the formulation has been changed substantially, and I can't vouch for the modern version.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version