SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Frame Blasting Media

<< < (5/5)

matthewmosse:

--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on February 04, 2018, 06:12:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: matthewmosse on February 04, 2018, 05:58:20 PM ---The paint rep visiting where I used to work used to get so frustrated as did I as shot blaster and the paint guy as he'd told us and we couldn't get the managers to take on board that there is what the rep called the golden 4 hours, that being the proper maximum window between blasting something and laying on the first coat of paint down, after that atmospheric corrosion sets in, I'd frequently get asked to blast stuff as a matter of urgency then it would sit unheeded in the workshop for a week before the welders set to on it, and another week whilst our manager got around to actually getting thinners in so painting could happen. Then the higher up managers gave us the flack for the quality.... whilst reminding us of the pecking order and that we must do as told. How I miss that job.

--- End quote ---
Your old boss was very generous with the timing Matt. The chap that Trigger uses now insists on no longer than 1 hour between the blasters finishing and sprayers powder coating.

--- End quote ---
There were some bloody cowboys there Julie, 27 ton trailer blasted and painted with the wheels still on to avoid shot getting near the rusted brakes, so rusted an airline used to blow loose shot off blew a 2"hole in them. All this just to up the asking price before selling it to some poor sucker. Given the cost of blasting and painting something that size I thought it bloody shoddy not to just do it right rather than bodge and waste time disgusting the bodge. I made my feelings known on that, cost me the job.

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Deano400 on February 04, 2018, 06:49:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: MarkCR750 on February 03, 2018, 08:24:02 PM ---Hi Deano, why do you want to paint instead of powder coat?, modern powder coat can give a good gloss finish if that’s what you’re looking for.

--- End quote ---
Hi Mark. I intended to use paint to keep the bike more original, not that I am aiming for concourse just the best I can afford. Also would like to do as much as I can myself.

--- End quote ---

Don't blame you .. gone right off powder coat myself. I have painted a couple of frames myself recently and they look far more like Honda original than any PC I have seen and at least you can touch them up. I only gave my CD125 frame to a pro painter as it's candy red and I don't feel confident to do that and paint is too mega expensive  to cock up and redo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version