SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

500-4 scrapheap challenge

(1/6) > >>

haynes66:
dont know if this is going anywhere, but i'll give it a shot.  back in 2015 i bought the remains of a 500-4 for £90. it was just up the road and the seller even dropped it at my house!

it came with a full set of original pipes which i sold for £60 so it's effectively cost me 30 quid. everything was seized solid and the frame was rusted through in some areas but i thought it would be a fun school project as i work as a site manager at a residential behavioural school. some of the kids are keen to learn about mechanics so they started to help me dismantle it.  however, it really was too bad to work on, the kids rounding off or snapping the many rusted in bolts and screws, so i put it in the boiler house and gave them a worn out superdream which was mouldering behind my shed. this has proved to be a much better choice as they are enjoying taking it apart. 
so i'm attempting to strip the engine in my dinner breaks but it may well end up as scrap if it doesnt work out.  i hacksawed the frame away but the long mounting bolts are proving something of a challenge.   i suspect they may have to be drilled out >:(

Trigger:
Cover it in snow foam, a quick wash down and that will be ready to go  ;D
The only way is drill  ;)

haynes66:
i like a bit of patina ;D

Trigger:
I can't work it out, is it a K0 or K1 ? Must be a few hard to find parts on her ?

haynes66:
i believe it's a k1, according to someone on here. i may not get very far with it, but i wouldnt bin it. there would certainly be quite a few salvageable bits on it even if it's not worth rebuilding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version